RE: [amibroker] Built-in DEMA questions

<FONT face=Arial color=#000080
size=2>Dimitris,
<SPAN
class=218500120-26042003>I'd earlier noticed that EMA is empty <SPAN
class=218500120-26042003>prior to Len, so was going to suggest that you
formulate a custom DEMA in terms of AMA, which differs from EMA in starting at
Bar1.
<SPAN
class=218500120-26042003><FONT
color=#000080>Turns out, as your
example shows, that DEMA has no lag;
this <FONT
size=2>is because DEMA uses
AMA [i.e., the docs are wrong].
<SPAN
class=218500120-26042003>
<SPAN
class=218500120-26042003>Bob
<SPAN
class=218500120-26042003>-----<FONT
color=#000080>
2<FONT face=Arial
size=2> * EMA( C, len ) - EMA( EMA( C, len ), Len );
DEMA1 = 2 * <FONT
color=#0000ff>EMA( C, len ) - EMA(
EMA( C, len ), Len );
DEMA2 = 2*<FONT
color=#0000ff>AMA(C,ef) -AMA(<FONT
color=#0000ff>AMA(C,ef),ef);
Plot<FONT face=Arial
size=2>(1.01*DEMA(C,Len),"D",<SPAN
class=218500120-26042003>4,4);
<FONT face=Arial color=#000080
size=2>Plot(DEMA1,"D1",5,4);
Plot<FONT face=Arial
size=2>(DEMA2,"D2",5,4);

  <FONT face=Tahoma
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Dimitris Tsokakis
  [mailto:TSOKAKIS@xxxxxxxxx]Sent: Saturday, April 26, 2003 5:14
  AMTo: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: [amibroker]
  Built-in DEMA questions
  Some things should be explained about DEMA and its expected
  behavior:Let us use a fast DEMA [green line, period=10] and a slow one
  [yellow line, period=10]A third, variable period DEMA [the black thicker
  line], uses the fast period and, suddenly, 200 bars ago, changes to
  slow.The result will immediately leave the green curve, but asymptotically
  touch the yellow one. It will not be a real 50-bar DEMA, even after 200
  bars.Note that all this 200-bar period the variable DEMA stays higher than
  the slow one. [above gif]To answer my [obvious] questions, I search the
  available reference [instead of leaving my imagination to fly around].The
  explanatory note via <A
  href="">http://groups.yahoo.com/group/amibroker/message/38844
  sends me to <A
  href="">http://www.amibroker.com/guide/afl/afl_view.php?name=DEMAwhere
  I read the comment

  DEMA internally is implemented via
  EMA:Len=10;Graph0= 2 * EMA( C, len ) - EMA( EMA( C, len ), Len
  );// for comparison onlyGraph1=DEMA(C,Len);

  Some more explanations should be added
  because:a. The built-in DEMA
  begins from the first bar and the analytic EMA equivalent begins 400 bars
  later. How the built-in DEMA is defined for the first 400 bars ? [The
  question holds for IB and AA, see the simple exploration

  Len=200;G0= 2 * EMA( C, len ) - EMA( EMA( C, len ), Len
  );G1=DEMA(C,Len);Filter=1;AddColumn(G0,"ANALYTIC
  DEMA");AddColumn(G1,"DEMA");AddColumn(Cum(1),"BARS",1.0);

  and the att. gif]

  b. Should we
  expect a 2*Len delayed response when variable periods is used
  ?c. My CSCO history is 831
  bars [Jan3, 2000 till now]. The Graph0= 2 * EMA( C, len ) - EMA( EMA( C,
  len ), Len );begins on Aug2, 2001.c1.Can we
  speak for a proper function use back in the critical Oct2, 2001 CSCO
  low?The built-in DEMA is 11.53 and the EMA equivalent is 9.08
  !!!!!c2.After how many bars the two formulas
  are less than 1% diverging ?

  Built-in DEMA is, IMO, one of the most powerful AFL
  tools, its use in trading systems design gives excellent resultsand this
  is accurately translated to interesting profits. To avoid any
  misunderstanding [the recent winds are S to SW, not that healthy...]my
  questions do not search for built-in functions secrets, it would be useless to
  me.
  Just a better explanation to understandthe
  expected DEMA behavior would encourage users/traders to step into
  this great function. 5-10 lines would be more than enough, no need for
  1000+ pages.Thank you in advance for any reply.Dimitris
  TsokakisSend
  group FAQ at: <A
  href="">Yahoo! Terms of Service.