[amibroker] Re: To compound or not to compound... that is the question

Dingo,

I assume you addressed this to Chuck, but I'll give you my own take
on 1a of what you asked ...

1a.  I have tried lots of combinations of things to optimize on and
have pretty much settled on what I and some others refer to as MAR
which is CAR / MDD.  This has the advantage of finding parameters
that simultaneously elevate CAR while keeping down DD's.  There are
other steps involved here to assure that the parameters chosen are as
robust as they can be and sometimes at the cost of a little MAR but
that's another topic.  When writing systems and testing them for full
compounding whether that compounding takes the form of increased bet
size or increased number of simultaneous trades that can be made, the
equity curve should be as close as possible to a straight line on a
log scale.  KRatio is an indication of the straightness of the equity
curve but I also like to see it plotted.  The other advantage to
looking at equity curves on a log scale is that for example a 10% DD
looks the same regardless of where on the chart it occurs.  If you
plot the equity curve on an arithmetic scale the farther to the right
the larger dd's occur the more insignificant (falsely) they appear to
be.

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "dingo" <dingo@xxxx> wrote:
> I can understand and appreciate why you use fixed trade sizes in
order
> to get the best parameters. But how do you get a reasonable measure
of
> drawdowns that way?  Do you use some other technique to evaluate
> drawdowns?
>
> Re your param selection method: Do I understand the steps
correctly:

> 1. You optimize for the best params
>         a. Based on what column or calculation?
>         b. What date ranges would you be using currently?
>         c. What subset of stocks would you be optmizing on?
>
> 2. You set aside the the top 100.
>         a. Do you set aside any at the bottom?
>         b. How did you determine that the first set of params would
be
> at the edge of the parameter space?
>
> 3. You reoptimize the resultant set from step 2 and those are the
ones
> you use.
>
> Given the size of your trading capital how do you decide what
stocks to
> trade on a particular day?
>
> I'm not trying to pick a fight here I'm intensely curious as I've
been
> struggling with these questions for quite some time now.
>
> Thanks for any comments you choose to make.

portfolio's
> equity,
> > which then gives a head-start boost to the number of trades in
all
> the
> > commodities traded. The second occurs when X's monster trades
occur
> in the
> > final years of the simulated time period when the large number of
> contracts
> > makes X's profit far larger than if its big year came early. Here
> the
> > profits contributed by X dwarf what they were in the first case.
> >
> >   As the message from M points out, we can avoid such biases by
> normalizing
> > with a fixed-dollar bet size in testing to remove the galloping
> equity
> > effect. I proposed this method in 1999, and still use it to
compare
> with the
> > compounded performance. I confess, however, that my testing has
> failed to
> > find as much performance bias as I suspected I would find. The
> method is
> > most important when selecting markets for a portfolio.
> >
> >   Palmer Wright

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=249982.3179269.4495679.1728375/D=egroupweb/S=17
05
> 632198:HM/A=1524963/R=0/*http://hits.411web.com/cgi-bin/autoredir?