RE: [amibroker] Re: Real-world trading (specifics for DT)

<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>1.  I don't trade mutual funds, so I can't answer your first
question.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>2.  Of course there were computers in the 60's.  You
weren't around then, so you wouldn't have any way of knowing.  I've been
using computers since 1961 to trade stocks and futures.  In 1961, I
developed systems to read the ticker tape directly from my stock brokers trash
can.   I bought my first computer from my employer at the time for
more than $100,000.   It cost the insurance company I worked for more
than $1 million two years earlier.  That computer only had 4k of memory and
ran at one millionth of the speed of my fastest PC.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
<BLOCKQUOTE

  <FONT face="Times New Roman"
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: DIMITRIS TSOKAKIS
  [mailto:TSOKAKIS@xxxxxxxxx]Sent: Tuesday, April 15, 2003 2:12
  AMTo: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: [amibroker] Re:
  Real-world trading (specifics for DT)Chuck,May I
  ask you some technical questions:1.how do you apply Stochastics on MF,
  since it is HLC function2.how did you do it back in 60s without any
  computerised facility ?Was it paper calculation ? [!!]3.I read some
  stories about Lane´s %K and %D names. Do you remember anything about this
  great T/A step ?4. As for the Stochastic, CCI and RSI, the most
  interesting use is through their composites, not the indicators alone. If
  you have some time, you will find the relatively new ideas in the AFL
  Library.Dimitris Tsokakis--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Chuck
  Rademacher" <chuck_rademacher@x> wrote:> Fred,>
  > I really hate to sound coy about my systems, as I know the various
  ways that> such a response can be interpreted.   However,
  I am trading several hedge> funds using my systems and it would be
  a disservice to my clients to divulge> my exact
  methods.   Having said that, I will try to answer your
  questions.> > Let me start by telling you what I don't
  use.   I'm not looking for a debate> here, but I've tried
  all of these things and I cannot get value from them.> Indicators
  such as Stochastics, DMI, ADX, RSI, CCI, etc. have proven to be>
  useless to me, over 40 years of trading.   I know many of the
  members in> this group use some or all of those things and many
  people use them> successfully.   I have not been able to do
  so.   I've spent a month trading> with George Lane
  (inventor of stochastics), for instance, and I've written> hundreds
  of systems that use stochastics in various forms to no avail.
  I've> spent time with Don Lambert (creator of CCI) and couldn't find
  value in that> indicator either.   I have every book and
  article written about DMI, ADX,> RSI and have a disk folder full of
  discarded systems using those indicators.> > I have to tell
  you (if you already aren't aware) that I approach system>
  development quite differently from most people.   Of course, that
  could very> well mean that I'm doing it "wrong".   I
  endeavour to create system(s) that> work across all stocks at all
  times.  Many system developers create a> system, using
  stochastics for instance, and then apply that system to stocks>
  that have worked well with that system in the past.   If that
  approach works> for others, fine.   I'm of the opinion
  that a stock that has worked well> with stochastics for the last 27
  years could stop doing so tomorrow.    I> have
  stochastic systems, for instance, that work extremely well if I
  decide> which stocks to feed them.   So, it's not that I am
  unable to develop> systems that use these indicators.
  As you are aware, such systems are easy> to write and
  test.   I feel that is equally easy to fool yourself
  into> believing that they will work in the future.> >
  As to what I do use... this is a bit more difficult for me to
  discuss.   I> can tell you that my systems are aware of
  where the current price is in> relationship to some moving
  average.   My systems look at (something similar> to) the
  Sharpe ratio of returns over the recent past and the slope of a>
  linear regression line and/or momentum.   Other functions you will
  find> being heavily used in my systems include things like standard
  deviation and> standard error (both based on the
  close).    Another hint for you would be> best
  stated in a question:  "Who says that standard deviation can only
  be> useful in powers of two?".    Many of my systems
  that use standard> deviation, in some form, use powers of three, four
  and even seven when> calculating standard deviation.   I
  guess a mathematician would say that> using a power other then two
  makes it non standard.   That's exactly why I> call the
  function "NonStandardDeviation".> > Relative strength (not RSI)
  is also a powerful tool that I use extensively.> I've done over 15
  years of research using relative strength in conjunction> with two
  very large ($300 billion) hedge funds in the States.  One of
  the> hedge funds I manage uses only a relative strength approach while
  always> being beta neutral.  I use a method similar to that
  used by IBD, but IBD> hasn't changed their methodology (IMO) for
  too many years.   It's basically> a multi-period relative
  strength, weighting each lookback period> differently.   I
  can give you another clue here that took many years for me> to
  discover.   However you weight the various lookback periods,
  performance> can be increased by treating the most recent period
  negatively.   The idea> being that a recent, strong,
  positive relative strength can very well mean a> pull-back is in
  order.> > That's all I can tell you, at least in this group
  forum.   I am very happy> to share concepts and I may, in
  the process, tell you enough about what I'm> doing for you to
  replicate it.    I'm sorry that I cannot simply give
  you> AFL code and I'm sorry if that sounds like I am building up my
  systems to be> the grail.    They are not the grail,
  but they do produce proven,> consistent, non-spectacular,
  returns.> > Cheers>   -----Original
  Message----->   From: Fred
  [mailto:fctonetti@xxxx]>   Sent: Sunday, April 13, 2003 5:08
  Subject: [amibroker] Re: Real-world trading (specifics)> >
  >   Chuck,> >   You have filled
  things out somewhat, but I guess what I was asking>   more
  specifically was:> >   1.  What other kinds of
  qualifiers do you use to decide how to limit>   the
  universe of stocks that you'll even consider some signal
  for>   today ?> >   and ...>
  >   2.  Does the system you use employ some sort of
  pattern matching>   (Raschke's "grail" i.e ADX +/- DMI etc.
  plus a pullback etc. would be>   an example of this sort
  of thing) or is it something that is more>   trend of
  momentum oriented (MACD, Stochastic, Linear Regression
  would>   be examples of this sort of thing)>
  >   TIA, Fred> >   --- In
  amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Chuck Rademacher">
  <chuck_rademacher@x> wrote:>   > Re: Real-world
  tradingThanks, Fred Tonetti, for the comments.  I>
  will>   > endeavour to answer your questions without
  "giving away the farm".>   >>   >
  First, I have to tell you that I think my approach is
  different>   from MOST of>   > the people
  in this group.  Of course, that could mean that most
  of>   the>   > others have it
  right!>   >>   > I would NEVER
  optimize for a different set of parameters for each>
  stock.>   > I'm of the opinion that MSFT can start looking
  like IBM tomorrow.>   AOL can>   >
  take on the look and feel of INTC next week.   So, I want to
  have>   one set of>   > parameters
  that works on ALL stocks over at least six years of
  data>   > (preferably ten to twelve).   I
  end up with a set of parameters>   that
  works>   > over 13,000+ stocks (active and extinct) times
  however many days>   those>   > stocks
  have traded.   The number of trades can be between
  15,000>   and 50,000>   > and gives me
  some feeling that the system(s) will be robust in the>
  future.>   >>   > The next area I seem
  to treat differently than most as well.   I>
  trade fixed>   > size positions all the time.  My
  backtesting and realtime trading>   is
  always>   > based on fixed position size.   If I
  have cash, I will take as many>
  trades>   > as I can take.  If I don't have enough
  cash to take every trade, I>   will
  sort>   > the orders by "something".   If I'm
  not getting enough signals to>   use all
  my>   > cash, I will gradually increase the bet
  size.   AB lends itself to>
  this>   > approach, although I would like to see it more
  automated.  I'll>   give an>   >
  example:>   >>   > Let's say I'm
  sitting on $100,000 cash, or will be after I close>   out
  some>   > positions tomorrow.   If I'm trading
  $10,000 per transaction,>   obviously I>
  > have enough cash to take ten new positions.   My system
  may>   generate 100>   > orders for
  tomorrow.   I will add a column to my exploration
  so>   that I can>   > sort by it (or at
  least look at it).   For simplicity, let's say>
  that I know>   > that my system works better on low price
  stocks; the lower the>   better.>   >
  That's almost too easy, but I could sort my buy orders by
  closing>   price and>   > take the
  first ten.   Obviously, I would have had to backtest
  this>   premise>   > before trading
  in realtime.>   >>   > I sort by
  whatever I have found (via backtesting) gives me the
  best>   results.>   > Since I have
  other information in my data (fundamentals, etc.), I>
  can sort>   > by just about anything you can
  imagine.>   >>   > You quoted me as
  saying that I use volume * price as one of my>
  filters.   I>   > use something between a
  ten-day and fifty-day average volume times>
  the>   > (actual) closing price to give me the
  turnover.   If I'm trading>   $10,000,
  I>   > want the turnover to be at least
  $200,000.   That's not a science,>   just
  a>   > judgemental ratio of my order size to the average
  turnover in order>   to get>   > an
  easy fill (in and out).>   >>   > I
  hope I have answered your questions.  If not, hit me
  again.>   >   -----Original
  Message----->   >   From: Fred Tonetti
  [mailto:ftonetti@xxxx]>   >   Sent: Sunday,
  April 13, 2003 4:22 PM>   >   To:
  amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>   >   Subject:
  [amibroker] Re: Real-world trading>
  >>   >>   >
  Chuck,>   >>   >   I can
  tell from messages that you've posted in the past that
  you>   are>   > thorough in your
  testing ...>   >>   >
  Without giving away the farm as it were I am interested in
  the>   kinds of>   > systems you develop
  and trade, do they in general look for certain>   kinds
  of>   > conditions like for example a Raschke "grail" set
  up or do they>   more belong>   > to the
  timing of things with in the larger trend or ?>
  >>   >   I think you are far beyond most here
  or at least me in terms of>   how you
  go>   > about selecting stocks to trade beyond whether or
  not they match>   some>   > pattern in a
  generalized way.  I've heard you speak of volume >
  X>   etc., but>   > I think most here
  or at least I would benefit from any and all>
  information>   > you'd be willing to share about how you
  pare down 10,000 tradable>   issues>
  > into something more manageable on a real time basis.>
  >>   >   Regards, Fred>
  >>   >>
  >         Yahoo! Groups
  Sponsor>