[amibroker] Re: Larry Williams Inner Circle Review

Fred,

Since we both agree that the DD's reported by AB on portfolio
backtests are 'suspect', then this discussion is academic.

You focus intensely upon DD's, and based upon what I percieve about
your preferred method of backtesting single issues then I'd agree that
DD's constitute a major consideration in trading system design where
you are exposing yourself to significant risk on any given trade.

Since I trade portfolios made up of over 8,000 plus stocks, I can have
anywhere from as little as zero to as many as 60 trade signals on any
single day. The larger the number the stronger the trend, and when I
get more than 20 signals on a single day an alarm goes off in my head
that tells me to watch closely for major changing mkt conditions.

In my method of swing trading, I only risk a small, fixed amount on
each trade. And each trade only last an average of 5 or 6 days and is
fully protected with trailing stop loss orders. In order to experience
significant DD's, I'd have to experience a series of sequential losses
on a large number of small trades on a major mkt turn, and my trading
system stops generating trades when the ADX, PDI, MDI levels expose
major changes in mkt conditions. So not only do I have trailing stop
loss protection on individual trades, I have 'trading system'
protection insofar as the system is designed to trade ONLY when the
prevailing trend is intact.

I can do a quick 'eyeball' check on the system 'portfolio' backtest
DD's by exporting the system trades to Excel... sorting them
increase/decrease in capital.

But I have to admit that I am getting a little tired of doing the
manual 'eyeball' check in Excel and am developing my own software to
take the AB exported trades and automate the process of reporting
reliable DD info for portfolio trading systems.

What I am telling you is that your fixation on DD's is relevent to
single issue testing or portfolio testing where your capital exposure
to the mkt is *extreme* on any given trade.

But as you reduce you exposure on a per trade basis, and design your
trading systems to react to changing mkt conditions, DD's are smoothed
considerably (even though DD's should be periodically monitored manually).

So, keep your focus where DD's are involved in 'significant risk'
trades, but where you know that the reported DD's figures are not
reliable on portfolio trades, ease up a bit.

Regards,

Phsst

http://us.click.yahoo.com/yMx78A/fNtFAA/i5gGAA/GHeqlB/TM