  >From:
  <A title=gkavanagh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  href="">Graham
  To: <A title=amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  href="">amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Monday, March 31, 2003 9:41
PM
  Subject: RE: [amibroker] Re: Efficiency
  & ATR (Al V. & Jayson)
  Ok AlJust thought to add this, I have also been looking
  at using dollars tradedas alternative to straight price. I feel this a
  better measure of what istruly happening as sometimes the price can move
  with very little volume, oran unusual large amount. By using the traded
  dollars it provides a measureof the relative interest. There was a good
  thread centred around this not solong ago, just cannot remember details of
  it.So I am looking at the normal indicators of volatility and replacing
  pricewith traded dollars. Unfortunately cannot get exact quantities of
  this, so Iuse the average price against volume. This should be close
  enough for mypurposes.One thing I have been viewing is the OBV, but
  have modified to be the MACDof the OBV which is giving, to me at least, a
  measurable plot and signals.Cheers,Graham<A
  href="">http://groups.msn.com/ASXShareTrading<A
  href="">http://groups.msn.com/FMSAustralia-----Original
  Message-----From: Al Venosa [mailto:advenosa@xxxxxxxxxxxx] Sent:
  Tuesday, 1 April 2003 10:30 AMTo: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject:
  [amibroker] Re: Efficiency & ATR (Al V. & Jayson)Oops. Sorry,
  I meant Chuck, not Graham. Al--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,
  "Al Venosa" <advenosa@xxxx> wrote:> Yes, Graham. Perhaps a good
  use of Stdev of closing prices as a means of tracking volatility is if you
  trade mutual funds, which don't report OHLC data. In that case, if you
  want to use volatility as a way of controlling position size, stdev or a
  multiple of stdev would work well. > > Al V.>
  amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx >   Sent: Monday, March 31, 2003
  8:10 PM>   Subject: RE: [amibroker] Re: Efficiency & ATR
  (Al V. & Jayson)> > >   I have been looking
  into volatility of charts recently and alternatives to>
  ATR. I feel ATr is ok, but for my trading based on the close price only
  it>   is little value having the H-L as a criteria. One
  simple model is just based>   on the H & L from
  previous close. I am looking at others as well, but
  not>   sufficiently yet to go into details. For a pure EOD
  day trading even just>   close from previous close could
  be used as a basis, as the intraday>   movements would be
  of lesser importance.>   Just some thoughts to throw into the
  ring.> >   Cheers,>
  [mailto:fctonetti@xxxx] >   Sent: Tuesday, 1 April 2003 9:03
  Subject: [amibroker] Re: Efficiency & ATR (Al V. & Jayson)>
  >   Chandelier like ( ATR based ) entries can also be made to
  work pretty >   well given the right vehicle and time
  frame.> >   --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Jayson"
  <jcasavant@xxxx> wrote:>   > Perhaps I
  misspoke.  I use ATR all the time but generally as it
  >   relates to>   > the stocks value. An
  ATR of $3 is a far different animal on a $50 >   stock
  than>   > it is on a $10 stock. Simply scanning for raw
  ATR numbers has >   little value>   > (to
  me) Scanning for stocks whose 14 day ATR represents a 5% value
  >   of the>   > stocks closing price may
  represent a universe of stocks worthy of >
  further>   > exploration. While I have used ATR for exit
  strategy I have never >   looked at>
  > it for position sizing. This is an interesting
  approach....>   > >   >
  Jayson>   > -----Original Message----->
  > From: Al Venosa [mailto:advenosa@xxxx]>   > Sent:
  Monday, March 31, 2003 7:17 PM>   > To:
  amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>   > Subject: Re: [amibroker]
  Efficiency & ATR (Al V. & Jayson)>   >
  >   > >   > I Agree that Raw ATR
  numbers are of little use.>   > >   >
  Jayson, I presume you mean 'of little use' in relation to defining
  >   efficient>   > stocks. However, ATR
  can be very useful in establishing >   positionsize.
  For>   > example, many traders use a multiple of ATR to
  establish not only a >   max>   >
  stoploss point but also to help calculate how big of an investment
  >   to make>   > in a trade. Thus,
  risking 1% of current equity in a trade, you can >
  decide to>   > take a position using the formula:
  PositionSize = -1 * BuyPrice/>
  (2*ATR(15)).>   > Here, raw ATR is very useful because if
  you happen to buy during a >   highly>
  > volatile time, your position size is lower because the 2*ATR is in
  >   the>   > denominator. Conversely, if
  the volatility is low at the time of >   the
  buy,>   > your position size is higher. This is a very
  effective position >   sizing>   >
  strategy.>   > >   > Al
  V.>   > >
  >       Yahoo! Groups
  Sponsor>

  ADVERTISEMENT>   > >   >
  >   > >   > >   >
  Send BUG REPORTS to bugs@xxxx>   > Send SUGGESTIONS to
  suggest@xxxx>   >
  Yahoo! Terms of Service.> > > >
  Send BUG REPORTS to bugs@xxxx>   Send SUGGESTIONS to
  suggest@xxxx>

  ADVERTISEMENT>

  >        >
  >   Send BUG REPORTS to bugs@xxxx>   Send
  SUGGESTIONS to suggest@xxxx>
  group FAQ at:<A
  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to <A
  href="">http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
  Send
  group FAQ at: <A
  href="">Yahoo! Terms of Service.