RE: [amibroker] Fast OR Slow ? [was TRENDING vs RANGING]

Some interesting thoughts here DT

One of the things I have noticed in backtesting
various systems, both longer and shorter term, is that neither really has an
advantage over the other for various reasons.

An early signal has its advantages and disadvantages.
Here are a few off the top of my head, doubtless there are many more

face=Arial>&#8730;<font
size=1 face="Times New Roman">
earlier entry so you can gain a greater advantage of a trend

face=Arial>&#8730;<font
size=1 face="Times New Roman">
earlier exit to protect your capital when the movement ceases

face=Symbol>´<font
size=1 face="Times New Roman">
more chance of whipsaw

face=Symbol>´<font
size=1 face="Times New Roman">
more trades therefore šhigher trade costs

face=Symbol>´<font
size=1 face="Times New Roman">
early exit could mean miss greater move

lang=EN-AU >A later signal also has
advantages/disadvantages

face=Arial>&#8730;<font
size=1 face="Times New Roman">
later entry gives more indication that a trend has started

face=Arial>&#8730;<font
size=1 face="Times New Roman">
later exit could give you greater return from a longer trend

face=Arial>&#8730;<font
size=1 face="Times New Roman">
less chance of whipsaw

face=Arial>&#8730;<font
size=1 face="Times New Roman">
less trades on average therefore lower trade costs

face=Symbol>´<font
size=1 face="Times New Roman">
more chance of whipsaw

face=Symbol>´<font
size=1 face="Times New Roman">
later exit could mean greater chance of price slide

face=Symbol>´<font
size=1 face="Times New Roman">
later entry could mean you miss the early, and only part of the trend

In this I use the term trend very loosely and it
could be any movement in your trade direction over any period of time.

With trading there are no guarantees of price moving
in your direction after entry regardless of the types of signals used. Your
control of the trade is handed to the market after entry for others to move the
price. Your only control is your exit. Then, of course, the same applies after
your exit, the price can go in any direction. Your control is then your entry,
and so the cycle continues.

Using this as my basis, it matters very little
whether you get earlier or later signals, the opportunity exists with both to
gain a profit, or make a loss. But, because we are human, and can see the
charts of &#8220;what has been&#8221;, we need to have that competitive edge
over the others. It is this desire to be first that makes us strive to find a
better method or system. The holy grail if you like.

Good luck with your search, and all others. I am no
different to any other in this quest.

lang=EN-AU >

face="Times New Roman">Cheers,
Graham

color="#339966" face="Times New Roman"><font
color="#339966">http://groups.msn.com/ASXShareTrading

color="#339966" face="Times New Roman"><font
color="#339966">http://groups.msn.com/FMSAustralia

lang=EN-AU >-----Original
Message-----