RE: [amibroker] Re: TRENDING vs. RANGING markets

Make that entropy
8>(

  <FONT face=Tahoma
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Bob Jagow
  [mailto:bjagow@xxxxxxxxxxx]Sent: Thursday, March 27, 2003 2:09
  PMTo: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: RE: [amibroker]
  Re: TRENDING vs. RANGING markets
  <FONT
  color=#000080>Hilbert?
  How about <SPAN
  class=451545321-27032003><FONT
  color=#000080>MaximumEntrophySpectralEstimation?

  <SPAN
  class=451545321-27032003>Bettter yet, call it <SPAN
  class=451545321-27032003>MaximumEntrophySpectralAnalysis
  to attract the MESA crowd.
  <SPAN
  class=451545321-27032003>
  <SPAN
  class=451545321-27032003>Bob

    <FONT face=Tahoma
    size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Listes trading
    [mailto:listes.trading@xxxxxxx]Sent: Thursday, March 27, 2003
    5:16 AMTo: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: RE:
    [amibroker] Re: TRENDING vs. RANGING markets
    <FONT face=Verdana color=#800000
    size=2>Dimitri
    <FONT face=Verdana color=#800000
    size=2>
    <FONT face=Verdana color=#800000
    size=2>If I have clearly understood the MESA documentation, MESA does not
    use FFT but another algorithm that is not subject to the FFT
    limitations.
    <FONT face=Verdana color=#800000
    size=2>FFT has 2 major limitations for financial
    applications:

      <FONT face=Verdana color=#800000
      size=2>FFT is valid only for time series having a finite second order
      moment and there is no evidence that financial time series fulfil this
      condition (some theorician like B.Mandelbrot has made the hypothesis of
      infinite moment for market time series)
      <FONT face=Verdana color=#800000
      size=2>FFT uses moving windows and is very sensitive to the choice of the
      window and to the way data are padded, this is why - as you state- the
      historical results are changed when you add new data
    <FONT face=Verdana color=#800000
    size=2>I think MESA is using Hilbert transform that is very efficient to
    analyse signals having a single frequency varying in time. It is able to
    extract the variation of the frequency. But when the signal contains several
    frequencies varying in time, the results are not reliable. Financial time
    series are composed of an unknown number of frequencies varying in time and,
    therefore, Hilbert transform does not seem very suitable for analysis and
    prediction.
    <FONT face=Verdana color=#800000
    size=2>Anyway, MESA site contains a lot of interesting documents and even if
    it is not Holy Grail, it is a great source of ideas to built indicators and
    systems.
    <FONT face=Verdana color=#800000
    size=2>
    <FONT face=Verdana color=#800000
    size=2>Waz

      <FONT face=Tahoma
      size=2>-----Original Message-----From: DIMITRIS TSOKAKIS
      [mailto:TSOKAKIS@xxxxxxxxx]Sent: jeudi 27 mars 2003
      11:30To: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject:
      [amibroker] Re: TRENDING vs. RANGING
      marketsGreg,thank you for your mail.I
      always have a question for any spectral study. They are usually based
      of FFT, which changes the historical results as time goes by.My
      specific question is for the Cycle function of your gif. Suppose we
      read a price 20 for March27. Three months later, the reading of
      March27 will still be 20 or something else ?TIA for any
      reply.Dimitris Tsokakis--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Greg"
      <greg.bean@xxxx> wrote:> Gosub,> > I have just
      recently been doing some reading about this in John Ehler's ->
      Rocket Science for Traders . He does make an attempt at "predicting"
      future> price movement. Below is a brief example of his approach to
      this. I haven't> found out how to test this in AB , but maybe
      someone else has.> > <A
      href="">http://www.mesasoftware.com/mesa98.htm#MESA96>
      > MESA2002:> > MESA2002 is THE premier cycle-based
      trading program. MESA2002 is available> for a variety of
      trading platforms, includingTradeStation (4.0, 2000i, and>
      6.0), SuperCharts, NeuroShellTrader, and Standalone. It accurately
      measures> short term cycles. The trading platforms offer
      powerful extensions to> trading systems by making variables
      adaptive to the measured cycles. One> such adaptive application
      is to determine whether the mode of the market is> cyclical or
      trending.> > > MESA2002 program Charting
      Screen> > The basic operation of MESA2002 is measurement of
      the spectral content of> the price data using the Maximum
      Entropy Spectral Analysis method. When the> data is stationary
      the cycles are stable and consistent. The spectral> display
      segment is a colorized contour plot showing the quality of the
      cycle> measurement (the bottom display segment). When the measured
      cycles are> erratic or when the spectral energy is "splattered"
      across the range of> cycle periods the market is in a Trend
      Mode.> > > > > The market mode is
      sensed by examining the phase of the dominant cycle. A>
      fundamental definition of a cycle is a constant rate change of phase.
      For> example, a 10 day cycle changes phase at the rate of 36
      degrees per day to> complete the 360 degrees in each cycle. The
      Trend Mode is identified by the> failure to change at a
      constant rate. The phase presentation in the 3rd> display
      segment shows the phase changing at a constant rate, forming a>
      sawtooth waveform in the Cycle Mode, and changing erratically in the
      two> Trend Mode areas.> > The Sinewave Indicator in
      the 2nd display segment gives the position> reversal signals by the
      crossing of the two lines. Note these two lines> cross only
      when the prices are in the Cycle Mode and, unlike most
      oscillator> signals, do not give false whipsaw signals when the
      price is in the Trend> Mode. The Sinewave Indicator is
      anticipating the cyclic turning points, is> generated by adding
      45 degrees to the measured phase angle and plotting the> Sine
      of it.> > The strength and direction of the Trend are shown
      by the two adaptive moving> averages overlaid on the price
      bars. The slower of these averages is an> Instantaneous
      Trendline, obtained by completely removing the dominant cycle>
      component. The faster of these averages is a minimum lag filter.>
      > MESA2002 (standalone and TradeStation versions) makes a
      prediction of prices> 10 bars into the future. This prediction
      is made on the assumption that the> measured dominant cycle
      will continue into the future with the same> amplitude and phase.
      Therefore, the prediction has greater validity when the> prices
      are in the Cycle Mode.> > MESA2002 (standalone) reads five
      different data types directly, including> Metastock, CSI,
      ASCII, and TC2000. You can generate your own custom> portfolio and
      have MESA2002 automatically scan that porfolio for buying and>
      selling opportunities.> > > > The MESA2002
      DEMO is a 534 KB self extracting file. When you run MESADEMO,>
      it is extracted to the C:\MESADEMO directory as the default. To run
      the> demo, you click START . . . RUN and then type
      C:\MESADEMO\DEMO32. Then click> on the MESA2002.DBD
      file.> > ...........................MESA2002 (standalone)
      .........$350> ...........................MESA2002 for NeuroShell
      Trader. .........$350> ...........................MESA2002 for
      TradeStation2000i or 6.0> .........$495>
      ...........................MESA2002 for TradeStation 4.0.
      .........$495> ...........................MESA2002 for SuperCharts.
      .........$250> > . . . . . .> > >
      Original Message -----> From: "gosub283"
      <gosub283@xxxx>Gosub> To:
      <amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> Sent: Wednesday, March 26, 2003
      1:08 PM> Subject: [amibroker] TRENDING vs. RANGING markets>
      > > > Hi everyone,> >> > I think this
      issue will become more important> > over the next year or
      two.....> >> > When a human looks at a chart, he/she
      can> > immediately determine if a market is in> > a
      TRENDING mode or a RANGING mode.> > It is a most amazing feat of
      human visual> > data analysis that takes place in a
      matter> > of seconds. Trying to get computers to
      "visually"> > analize anything takes major computing
      power.> > Unfotunately computers and trading system have>
      > a much more difficult time of determining these> > market
      modes than us humans.> > Things become very "fuzzy" when trying
      to> > put the question of "Ranging vs. Trending" into>
      > mathamatical algorithms. And...of course.. the> > trading
      timeframe (long term vs. short term),> > make things even
      fuzzier.  (is "fuzzier" a word ??)> >> > For
      those of us who program automated systems,> > this is especialy
      important because it means> > that we can design systems that
      adjust effortlessly> > between ranging and trending markets. If
      correctly> > identified, a system can use a particular
      set> > of indicators for Ranging markets and then switch>
      > to other indicators when a trend is determined.> > Allowing
      for a truly autonomous system.> >> > Has anyone found
      a way to mathamatically (reliably!)> > determine if a market is
      Trending or Ranging ???> > (An AFL algorithm perhaps)>
      > In other words, an indicator which can give direction> > as
      to which set of indicators to use.> > (A hypothetical example of
      such an indicator would> >  have a response from 0=ranging
      to 10=Trending )> >> > Cheers,> >
      Gosub283> >> >> >> > Send BUG
      REPORTS to bugs@xxxx> > Send SUGGESTIONS to suggest@xxxx>
      href="">http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>