[amibroker] Re: Indicator Maintenance

I've had (have) similar issues with Indicator Builder. And it is not a
matter of being careless or inattentive.

The current design of the Indicator Builder needs to be renovated, and
Tomasz posted last week that he intends to completely re-write the AA
and IB portion of AB to use MDI windows instead of the current dialog
boxes. He indicated a 3rd or 4th quarter planned release date for MDI
implementation. Tomasz's description of his MDI plans sound very good
indeed.

Not that I am trying to speak for Tomasz, but it has been my
impression where this subject is concerned, he does not plan to do any
further maintenance/enhancement on the current dialog box structure of
AA or IB since he will be re-writing them this year.

Phsst

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Bob Jagow" <bjagow@xxxx> wrote:
> Try that again, CS.
> <<the name of the formula is clearly listed in the OPEN/SAVE AS dialog
> boxes>. Not how it works for me -- See Gif
>
> <<While I agree that it would be nice if AB would automatically load the
> name of the open formula from the Indicator Name list into the File Name
> part of the OPEN/SAVE AS dialog box, I have no problems keeping my 400+
> formulas straight.>> You might not even be in the right directory --
AB just
> saves the last used Dir.
>

> Regards,
> Bob
>
>  but -----Original Message-----

I would
> [...]
specified
> via
>     Preferences.
>
>     One of the big problems I have is indicators getting out of sync
with
> the
>     corresponding .afl file on disk. For example it is very easy to
make an
>     amendment to an indicator while testing visually via charts/guru
> commentary
>     and forget to save to the correct afl file on disk. Later when I
come to
>     system test and copy/paste the code into test afl from disk I get
> unexpected
>     results. BTW I am sure the endless copy/edit/paste operations will
> eventally
>     drive me to complete baldness - my background is in commericial IT
> systems
>     development so it goes very much against the grain when you cannot
> define a
>     formula/module just once and then just refrence it  wherever
required.
> TJ
>     has said he will add this facility but will I have any hair left
by then
> ;^)
>

>     Suggested improvements:-
>
>     In IB add a Copy button to enable a new version of an indictaor
to be
>     created quickly. Default new name = old name with numeric
suffice e.g.
>     HolyGrail[2]
>
>     In indicator browse list add columns for date and time last
modified.
> Allow
>     sorting on name column or date and time. At present you cannot check
> dates
>     or easily determine which indciators you were last working on.
>
>     In indicator browse list add columns for In quick list, Uses builtin
> code,
>     Use formula only. At present you must laboriously click down
thru every
> list
>     item to determine these.
>
>     Provide some protection or warning to prevent unintentional
overwriting
> when
>     using Load.
>
>     IMO indicators should be directly related by filename to the
> corresponding
>     disk file. For example the indicator HolyGrail7 is defined via
the disk
> file
>     HolyGrail7.afl Ideally AB preferences would specify the directory
> name(s)
>     for custom and standard indicators. This would prevent many
maintenance
>     problems that the current architecture invites and would also
facilitate
>     many other maintance operations (see below).
>
>     Facility to bulk load indicators from disk files into AB. i.e.
browse
> and
>     select multiple .afl disk files which are then loaded into
corresponding
>     custom or builtin indicator names.
>
>     Facility to bulk copy indicators from AB to disk files  i.e.
browse and