RE: [amibroker] Re: Automated Backtesting Walkforward Validation

Yes
ken/bill, I did misunderstand the procedure :-( actually all test
windows are OOS. Thanks for explaining things for me.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
wonder how they would determine the Optimize/Test period ratio... the example
uses 2:1. A critical factor that is not mentioned is trade duration. It would
seem prudent to have a reasonable number of trades in both the and test periods.
So this system would only work with short term trading systems...if you trades
last more then 10% of the test period you wouldn't really have enough data to
make results significant.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
With
spread of optimization values i mean the range of the parameters optimized.
Suppose the system uses period optimization and the values, over 18 tests, would
vary from 3 to 12... I would be highly skeptical this type of
result.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
Like
was mentioned: there is no easy way...
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>herman

  <FONT face=Tahoma
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Ken Close
  [mailto:closeks@xxxxxxxx]Sent: Saturday, March 01, 2003 3:38
  PMTo: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: RE: [amibroker]
  Re: Automated Backtesting Walkforward Validation

  <SPAN
  >Herman:
  <SPAN

  <SPAN
  >I would tend to think
  that it does tell you something about the system under test.
  <SPAN

  <SPAN
  >If your results in
  the “Trade Window” as it is called in this message are good, and they are
  “good” in say 15 out of 18 periods or cycles, then is it not reasonable to
  assume that the system under test is “robust” and is likely to perform ok (or
  at least as good as the average performance achieved in all of the Trade
  Windows).
  <SPAN

  <SPAN
  >Yes, I interpreted
  the msg to say to reoptimize in each new “Test Window”, the walk forward test
  in each Trade Window.  I am not sure what would happen if the beginning
  date of the first Test Window was anchored and the Test Window got
  progressively longer after each cycle.  It is also not clear what minimum
  number of trades must be achieved for the Test Window and Trade Window to be
  of adequate length.
  <SPAN

  <SPAN
  >What did you mean by
  “spread of optimization values”???
  <SPAN

  <SPAN
  >Ken
  <SPAN

  <SPAN
  Message-----From: Herman
  vandenBergen [mailto:psytek@xxxxxxxx] <SPAN
  >Sent: Saturday, March 01, 2003 9:14
  PMTo:
  amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<SPAN
  >Subject: RE: [amibroker] Re: Automated
  Backtesting Walkforward Validation
  <SPAN

  <SPAN
  >The previous post
  read: "<SPAN
  >Start with a fraction of the
  total historical data, say 10%, call this the Test-Window, run the Optimizer
  on this data, apply the trading system with these optimized parameters to
  the period of data immediately following the Test-Window, say 5% of total
  historical data, call this the Trade-Window, record only the Trade-Window
  results, move the starting point of the Test-Window ahead by the
  length of the Trade-Window, repeat <FONT face="Courier New"
  color=blue>(Does this
  mean re-optimize?),<SPAN
  > in this case 18 times, until
  the walk-forward process reaches the end of the historical data, and then
  report the cumulative Trade-Window results."

  <SPAN

  <SPAN
  >If i
  interpret this correctly than this really is an assessment of the optimization
  process itself. If so it has liitle to do with the trading system under test
  and has no value in predicting the effectivenes of the last (all previous
  values have no relevance) optimization values in the trading system on the
  next future period. There is not even talk about measuring the spread of
  optimization values...

  <SPAN

  <SPAN
  >Hopefully I
  misunderstood...

  <SPAN

  <SPAN
  >Herman.

  <SPAN

    <FONT face=Tahoma
    size=2>-----Original
    Message-----From: bvandyke
    <bvandyke@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> [mailto:bvandyke@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]<SPAN
    >Sent: March 1, 2003 11:48
    AMTo:
    amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<SPAN
    >Subject: [amibroker] Re: Automated
    Backtesting Walkforward Validation
    <SPAN
    >Hi d,<FONT face="Courier New"
    size=2><SPAN
    ><FONT
    face="Courier New">The best definition of Walkforward Validation (WFV) i saw
    is as follows and from a
    program called Inference Trader.  A google search
    will show their
    website.<FONT
    face="Courier New">"WalkforwardValidation (WFV) is a method of back-testing
    a trading system using
    walk-forward optimization/trading.  It attempts to
    simulate a more realistic
    trading system performance than the <FONT
    face="Courier New">Optimization only--whose trading results are overly
    optimistic.  The method is
    as follows:Start with a
    fraction of the total historical data, say 10%, call
    this the Test-Window, run the
    Optimizer on this data, apply the <FONT
    face="Courier New">trading system with these optimized parameters to the
    period of data immediately
    following the Test-Window, say 5% of total historical
    data, call this the
    Trade-Window, record only the Trade-Window <FONT
    face="Courier New">results, move the starting point of the Test-Window ahead
    by the length of the
    Trade-Window, repeat, in this case 18 times, until<FONT
    face="Courier New">the walk-forward process reaches the end of the
    historical data, and then
    report the cumulative Trade-Window results."<FONT
    face="Courier New">"If the results as described above are positive,then one
    usually to get the parameters
    to use for future trading, uses the Optimizer.
    Since you back-tested this
    strategy of optimize/trade with<FONT
    face="Courier New">WFV optimizing the paramaters on a chunk of data "Test
    window" length long, to attempt
    to recreate this performance in future<FONT
    face="Courier New">trading, you want to set the optimization length equal to
    "Test window" length. Now run
    the optimizer on your last "test window" <FONT
    face="Courier New">period of data to get the parameters for future
    trading.  Now trade for a
    period of time equal to the WFV "Trade Window Length", at the
    end of this period, run the
    optimizer again then trade with the new <FONT
    face="Courier New">params, and so on."<FONT
    face="Courier New">Hope this helps,<FONT
    face="Courier New">Bill
    --- In
    amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "dingo" <dingo@xxxx>
    wrote:> can you point me to
    some more info on "Walkforward Optimization"??

    > d<FONT
    face="Courier New">> >