RE: [amibroker] Re: Automated Backtesting Walkforward Validation

The
fraction of the total historical data, say 10%, call this the Test-Window, run
the Optimizer on this data, apply the trading system with these optimized
parameters to the period of data immediately following the Test-Window, say
5% of total historical data, call this the Trade-Window, record only the
Trade-Window results, move the starting point of the Test-Window ahead by
the length of the Trade-Window, repeat (Does this mean
re-optimize?), in this case 18 times, until the walk-forward process
reaches the end of the historical data, and then report the cumulative
Trade-Window results."
<FONT
face="Courier New" color=#000000 size=3>
<FONT
face="Courier New" color=#0000ff size=3>If i interpret this correctly than this
really is an assessment of the optimization process itself. If so it has liitle
to do with the trading system under test and has no value in predicting the
effectivenes of the last (all previous values have no relevance) optimization
values in the trading system on the next future period. There is not even talk
about measuring the spread of optimization values...
<SPAN
class=440094701-02032003>
<SPAN
class=440094701-02032003>Hopefully I misunderstood...
<SPAN
class=440094701-02032003>
<FONT
face="Courier New" color=#0000ff size=3>Herman.

  <FONT face=Tahoma
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: bvandyke
  <bvandyke@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> [mailto:bvandyke@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]Sent:
  March 1, 2003 11:48 AMTo:
  amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: [amibroker] Re: Automated
  Backtesting Walkforward ValidationHi d,The
  best definition of Walkforward Validation (WFV) i saw is as follows and
  from a program called Inference Trader.  A google search will show
  their website."WalkforwardValidation (WFV) is a method of back-testing
  a trading system using walk-forward optimization/trading.  It
  attempts to simulate a more realistic trading system performance than the
  Optimization only--whose trading results are overly optimistic.  The
  method is as follows:Start with a fraction of the total historical
  data, say 10%, call this the Test-Window, run the Optimizer on this data,
  apply the trading system with these optimized parameters to the period of
  data immediately following the Test-Window, say 5% of total historical
  data, call this the Trade-Window, record only the Trade-Window
  results, move the starting point of the Test-Window ahead by the
  length of the Trade-Window, repeat, in this case 18 times, untilthe
  walk-forward process reaches the end of the historical data, and then
  report the cumulative Trade-Window results.""If the results as
  described above are positive,then one usually to get the parameters to use
  for future trading, uses the Optimizer.  Since you back-tested this
  strategy of optimize/trade withWFV optimizing the paramaters on a chunk of
  data "Test window" length long, to attempt to recreate this performance in
  futuretrading, you want to set the optimization length equal to "Test
  window" length. Now run the optimizer on your last "test window"
  period of data to get the parameters for future trading.  Now trade
  for a period of time equal to the WFV "Trade Window Length", at the
  end of this period, run the optimizer again then trade with the new
  params, and so on."Hope this helps,Bill  --- In
  amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "dingo" <dingo@xxxx> wrote:> can you
  point me to some more info on "Walkforward Optimization"??
  From: bvandyke <bvandyke@xxxx> [mailto:bvandyke@xxxx] > Sent:
  Saturday, March 01, 2003 1:35 PM> To: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  Subject: [amibroker] Re: Automated Backtesting> > > Hi
  dingo,> > You wrote below about Optimization:> >I
  should point out that according to most of the knowledgeable >
  >sources that you should only optimize once for a range of dates that
  > will include bull and bear periods and then do a series of >
  backtests "out of sample" to find out if your formula is "robust".
  > That's the hard part!> >  > > d>
  > I think Leo may be referring, in his Post,  to an Optimization
  > technique called "Walkforward Validation", which is what some
  people > recommend and prefer.  It's another option to handle
  bull and bear > years.  As you say, no matter what technique, it's