From: Tomasz Janeczko [mailto:amibroker@xxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, February 24, 2003 2:07 PM
To: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [amibroker] Metastock Formula for AB

Jason,

5 is a "smoothing factor" The higher it is the smoother average you get (and
more lag).

Let us assume that the volume is constant.
In that case MA( Volume, Period ) == Volume

Then this:

 Period = 20;
 N = 5 * MA( Volume, Period );
 VWMA = AMA( Close, Volume/N );

reduces to this:

VMA = AMA( Close, 1/5 );

This is in fact equivalent to 9 day exponential moving average 1/5 ==
2/(9+1).

So,

N = 5 * MA( Volume, 20 );
VMA = AMA ( Close, Volume / N );

is in fact adaptive exponential moving average that fluctuates around 9-day
period depending on how big current volume is compared to its 20-day average
of the volume.

If current volume is 2 times its average then the adaptive average reduces
to 4.5 bar period.

You can use other formulation:

Period1 = 20;
Period2 = 9;
N = MA( Volume, Period1 ) * (Period2 + 1 )/2;
VWMA = AMA( Close, Volume/N );

Period2 is then equivalent to EMA-like period
Period1 defines how many bars are used for smoothing volume used to "adjust"
the average contolled by period2.

Best regards,
Tomasz Janeczko
amibroker.com