Re: [amibroker] Re: System Testing Validity

>The other question I asked of no one in particular was ... When do
you know your system has died ?  Even with valid thorough testing
systems sometimes die and systems traders I think have to give some
thought to want would constitute death to a system and then when the
results for whatever reason approach that what they are going to do
next.

Fred,

I've thought a lot about "death of a system" and I believe technicians point
to system failure with little regard to the change in supply and demand
and/or volatility (in the issue that they are trading).  Over-optimized and
bad approaches to the markets will always fail (eventually).

Sometimes, really great mechanical approaches can be compromised by
"forcing" the system on issues that have random walk personalities.
Well-behaved issues (trading vehicles that exhibit accumulation/disturbution
patterns) can return extrodinary profits for long periods of time.  Changes
in supply and demand can cause a stock or commodity's behavior to change
drastically (and render repeated losses).

Good, solid approaches will always work on a universe of "well-behaved"
stocks or commodities.  You can design objective criteria to pare
ill-performing issues from any universe.  I think most of us can conjure up
a few rules about an issues's behavior and remove issues that don't perform
to specific standards.

A well-designed system can trade dozens and dozens of issues with
eye-popping returns.  Technicians tend to "force" their approach "favorite"
issues (QQQ's, eminis, MSFT).  This is not logical.  You can trade
anything...why not trade orderly issues?

That's my thoughts on "death".  Patterns change, but good systems never die.

Take care,

Steve