From: <tchan95014@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, February 10, 2003 8:41 PM
Subject: [amibroker] Re: Holy Grail? NOT!

Hi, Jim,

If you could kindly re-read my comment on the AFL code.

There I mentioned that I am using the breakout price generated on
YESTERDAY's close, if TODAY's high is higher
than the long breakout price, then long, if TODAY's low is lower than
the short breakout price, then short.
Since the breakout price is set the day before, one can always enter
a STOP price order and
wait for it to be triggered. That is, you enter a STOP order after
the CLOSE yesterday, and if TODAY's price
go across the breakout price, that STOP price is triggered
automatically, apparently I am waiting TODAY for
this STOP price to be triggered, so there should be NO trade delay.

NOTE: I do not use the info from [settings...], I define my own
buyprice/sellprice/shortprice/coverprice.

Please check the [priceB] and [priceS], I have used ref(xxx, -1) to
ensure I am using the previous day's breakout
price.

I have my mind set on the TRADING day not on SIGNAL generation day, I
guess that is the reason why it caused so many confusions. But,
again, I have carefully pushed back the SIGNAL tested one bar already.

Fred,

Yes, it is possible to trade with trade delay 0 on OPEN, if you have
set the SELL = ref(buy, -20) for example.
That is, if you have a BUY 20 bars ago, today and only today the SELL
is triggered, of course you can set the
trade delay to 0 because the trade was initiated 20 days ago.

Of course, only if this SELL = ref(buy, -20) works correctly for me,
especially when there are potentially
more than one BUY signals are triggered. That is also why I urged
those who tried my AFL code to check the
'explore' I just could not see where this SELL = ref(BUY, -20)
happening.

Thomas

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Fred <fctonetti@xxxx>"
<fctonetti@xxxx> wrote:
> Jim,
>
> Although it's not possible to trade with delay 0 on the open it is
> certainly possible and feasible to trade with delay 0 on close.
One
> may not get 100% of the signals correct but the small amount of
> errors will for the most part balance each other out.  I do this
> EVERY day.
>
> Fred
>
> --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Jim Hutchison" <phutch@xxxx>
wrote:
> > Your system will get a high return on account because there is no
> trade
> > delay set "SetTradeDelays(0, 0, 0, 0);". You are buying or
selling
> at
> > the close on the same day the trading signal is generated. Which
> would
> > not be possible in real life. You can not trade at the close
after
> the
> > close.
> >
> > Jim Hutchison

of 'explore'

> > Thanks.
> >

> > Thomas
> >

> > // ---------------------------------------------------------------
--
> --
> > ------------------------------------
> > // ATR range breakout system, run on daily bars
> > //
> > // This is a very simple volatility breakout system.
> > // It keys off YESTERDAY's close +/- some multiple of ATR(n), n =
> 10.
> > multiple = 0.6 here.
> > // Hence, if TODAY's high > long breakout price determined by
> > yesterday close (priceB), we go long
> > // if TODAY's low < short breakout price determined by
yesterday's
> > close (priceS), we go short
> > // Because of this nature, we have to use SetTradeDelays() on
> > BUY/SHORT to 0, you set a STOP
> > // price and enter your order before OPEN and wait for execution.
> > // Since we always WAIT 20 days AFTER entry, and we exit our
> position
> > on OPEN, there is not much
> > // difference in setting SetTradeDelays() on SELL/CLOSE to 0 or 1.
> > //
> > // If you check, you will see priceB and priceS is YESTERDAY's
> > breakout prices to be used today.
> > // I like to use TODAY as the base, if any signal occurs today, I
> can
> > set the STOP price for tomorrow.
> > // Also, if there is any execution TODAY.
> > //
> > // ---------------------------------------------------------------
--
> --
> > -------------------------------------
> > // System defines
> > // ---------------------------------------------------------------
--
> --
> > -------------------------------------
> >
> > SetTradeDelays(0, 0, 0, 0);
> >
> > // ---------------------------------------------------------------
--
> --
> > -------------------------------------
> > // System Parameters
> > // ---------------------------------------------------------------
--
> --
> > -------------------------------------
> >
> > smoothB = 10; // 10-bar ATR() is used
> > multipleB = 0.6; // with 0.6 * ATR(10) as the volatility
> > breakout range
> > wait = 20; // wait 20 bars after entry then exit
> > smoothS = smoothB; // make sure LONG and SHORT uses same
> > parameters
> > multipleS = multipleB;
> >
> > entryB = C + multipleB * ATR(smoothB); // BUY breakout price for
> > NEXT bar
> > entryS = C - multipleS * ATR(smoothS); // SHORT breakout price
for
> > NEXT bar
> > priceB = Ref(entryB, -1); // make sure we are using
> > PREVIOUS bar for our decision making
> > priceS = Ref(entryS, -1); // make sure we are using
> > PREVIOUS bar for our decision making
> >
> > // if TODAY's high > YESTERDAY's Close +/- breakout range, we
want
> > act on.
> > // Because we are using yesterday price, we are pretty much
setting
> > up a STOP price
> > // to act, from yesterday's price, on today's price.
> >
> > CondBuy = IIf(H > priceB, 1, 0); // priceB is previous bar
> > price
> > CondShort = IIf(L < priceS, 1, 0); // priceS is previous bar
> [...]
for
> > debug only
> > Sell = Ref(Buy, -wait); // supposedly a 20 day
wait
> > before SELL
> > Short = CondShort;
> > Cover = Ref(Short, -wait);
> > ExRemSpan(Buy, wait); // I thought I don't need
> > this, because
> > ExRemSpan(Short, wait); // equity(1) is used
below
> > (makes no difference though)
> >
> > BuyPrice = IIf(Open > priceB, Open, priceB); // Make sure
entry
> > price is realistic
> > ShortPrice = IIf(Open < priceS, Open, priceS);
> > SellPrice = Open; // Since we set a 20-day
> > wait, I assume Sell will onlu
> > CoverPrice = Open; // be set to TRUE, 20
bars
> > after 'Buy' is triggered
> >
> > // ---------------------------------------------------------------
--