Re: [amibroker] AmiBroker and Windows XP

Hi Graham,

Sunday, February 9, 2003, 9:04:15 AM, you wrote:

G> Thanks Yuki I really appreciate you taking the time with this. I
G> will check your suggestions, not even knowing what indexing is
G> etc. (I will check the websites and help screens) This has got my
G> curiosity going about XP, so I am running a search of internet for
G> websites with information to help me understand what I am using.

No problem.  I wish I could be more specific on some of the services,
but I'm not in the mood for a reboot this morning.  <g>  I doubt if
you need 'system state restore', either, unless you don't have any
other, more convenient, form of backup.  (I recommend TrueImage, from
Acronis, which has broken new ground by allowing you to image even
*system* partitions on the fly from inside the GUI -- no DOS reboot
needed, ever.)

I'll give you one example of how XP is a dog on my machine:

I have my settings to bypass the recycle bin on deletes, and just do
a straight delete -- but to show the confirmation dialog.  (Why I
have the confirmation set to display I don't know, since I don't
usually wait for it anyway, and can't remember deciding 'no'.)  ^_^

In 2000, then, it's a bang-bang delete ('delete' followed instantly
by 'enter', which hits the default 'yes' on the delete confirm). All
gone in a snap. In XP, however, there is a noticeable delay between
hitting delete and the appearance of the confirm dialog.  The delay
is not *that* great (a second or less, I'm sure), but it's enough for
me to end up opening the file I want to delete half the time, because
my 'enter' is hitting the system before that delete confirm pops up,
and the system is thus interpreting it as a command to open the file
rather than an acceptance of the default delete confirm.  So XP
forces me to slow down (wait longer than I'm accustomed to for that
dialog to appear before hitting 'enter'), which is really annoying. I
don't want to use any system that I can out-type.  <g>

I could probably avoid this by just getting rid of the delete
confirm, but since I don't use the recycle bin I like having it
there, just as kind of a false security blanket.  ^_^

XP is just slow on a slow machine like mine (which was
state-of-the-art once upon a time -- I was running a Celeron 300a on
this board at 504 MHz, stable, when most people still well below
that). You can see the difference in speed just opening Windows
Explorer. In 2000 it *snaps* open with the full directory tree
visible *instantly*. In XP it opens to the target directory, then
hesitates or double-clutches for a few microseconds after which the
entire directory tree loads (my tree is large, going out to drive T).
I just can't stand it compared to 2000, which is still very snappy on
my old box. And since it can't run JBN2 properly, even in
compatibility mode, I just have no need for it right now.

Also, if you are like me in respect to how you manage your stock data
files, XP has some problems (actually, the problems are MS problems,
but that's beside the point): I use the MS Downloader (DL) to manage
my data (downloaded from DLQ in 'Metastock+Names' format), and have
AB just access it from the plug-in, which works wonderfully.

But, MS does not support XP, unless you upgrade to version 8 (I have
7.2). The 7.2 version basically works okay in XP, but there are some
known problems, and MS's only official answer is to upgrade.)  One of
the problems (not the only one) is with the DL.  If you open a
database folder with the DL, you will see 'icons' as the view setting
in the file list, rather than 'list', which is what I like for the
DL. (The reason I like 'list' is that I have the DL's opening window
set very small, in the lower-left corner of my screen, so that it
doesn't cover very much of my trading screen at all, and with 'list'
I see the files I want to open immediately, instead of having to
scroll to them, as I need to do if the view is 'icons'.) This view
can be changed of course, but it is NOT sticky for the DL in XP.
Every time you open the DL again it will be reset to 'icon' view.
This does not happen in 2000, but it would only be an annoyance for
someone like me who uses the DL to manage data, and who wants a very
small DL window.

Best,

Yuki

mailto:yukitaga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx