Re: [amibroker] AmiBroker and Windows XP

Hi Graham,

Sunday, February 9, 2003, 8:24:45 AM, you wrote:

G> Sorry Yuki, I was really asking as I am not certain what should be
G> running, and what is extra that is not required for basic
G> operation in XP.

You can almost surely start with the indexing service.  I would just
disable it in services.  This is a huge resource waster -- one of the
worst.

Take a look at the services list.  I guarantee you that you will find
a large number of services running, and draining resources, that you
absolutely will never need or use.  Turn them off, then disable them.
You have to check for dependencies, but this is not too hard.

I also find the folder options setting that puts a lot of html-like
'help' in folder views a resource wasting hog.  I forget what the
setting is called, because I have simply gone back to 2000.

XP can await the next hardware upgrade, which is simply unnecessary
at the moment.  The next big price break on processors will probably
see me picking up a 2.4 GHz P-4 (533 FSB), and maybe an Asus P4PE
with probably 512 Mb of ram -- a significant upgrade from my current
box.

I'm sure XP will sing then, but it's really just 2000 with fluff
anyway, does not run all the programs 2000 runs (especially some PGP
front ends that are *extremely* convenient), and there is no need to
waste money on hardware simply to satisfy XP.  I will probably skip
XP in fact, waiting for the next OS in the cycle.  I tried it; it was
nothing to write home about.  It is not one bit more stable than
2000, which I also cannot crash, and it is probably less secure from
outside invasion.

Best,

Yuki

mailto:yukitaga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx