Re: [amibroker] AmiBroker and Windows XP

Dick;

One can prove anything with a single case.
But my advice is, if it ships with XP installed,  give it a
try.

I was an early adopter of Win2k (the day it arrived
at Fry's).  I've been a Win2K bigot from that point, owning two legit
copies. As you know Win2k is a vast improvement over any 9x engine.

However, for the reasons you site, I gave XP a try
on a Sony Vaio laptop (came with it) knowing it was the same engine as
Win2K,  and knowing I could always fall back if I had
to.

The result has been that XP has been the most
painfree system I've ever owned. Hard to say how much is hardware, how much is
software.  Never been a fan of Sony, but I think their experience in games
has carried over to advantage in laptops, in terms of
quality.

I did get a bit tired of the XP kind of fluffy
interface (after many months), and dropped back to the more Win2K look.
But that is a single click on a menu.

As to actual advantage beyond saved
setup/conversion time, I think they may have added an improvement in the
bootorder algorithms, adding some kind of logic which periodically looks at what
you are doing, and improving it without you being aware of it.  Certainly
my sense is XP is slightly faster in real use than Win2k. Also, the
hibernate, standby, shutdown (APCI functions in general) seem improved.
Could be the Sony again, don't know.  Also some cute support innovations
for explorer which I don't think are all available to Win2k.

Clearly MS is making an effort to get us to switch,
as the single license per computer is a big revenue generator to them.
Personally I don't care, as long as the computer works as expected, after having
spent 7 zillion hours on the 9x engine.  I'd pay thousands to have that
time back.

Richard
<BLOCKQUOTE