RE: Stock Selection was: [amibroker] Re: NDX / QQQ - Can it be traded ?

Apples
and Oranges Ken. Perhaps we can make a Nectarine! If you choose a basket of
stocks based on a given criteria then testing that basket over 10 years may well
hold no significance. Lets use a simple filter.
<SPAN
class=352231516-06022003>
<SPAN
class=352231516-06022003>C>10;
<SPAN
class=352231516-06022003>ma(v,50)>100000;
<SPAN
class=352231516-06022003>
Lets
consider that this is the criteria for our initial scan/selection. Where were
the conditions 1-2-5-10 years ago? If the conditions were not met just 1 year
ago would we have selected the stock for use in our system? If not then what is
the value of testing its results 2-5-10 years ago? With this approach you
would need  to test that the conditions were in fact met X years ago then
test forward using your selection criteria to exit when necessary. This insures
that you would not be testing stocks that in RT you would have no intention of
trading.
<SPAN
class=352231516-06022003>
You
may wish to be careful with your Optimization. The challenge is to find a good
range of settings with out risking a curve fit,  other wise the system will not
likely trade in the same manner as it tests.

Jayson

<FONT face=Tahoma
size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Ken Close
[mailto:closeks@xxxxxxxx]Sent: Thursday, February 06, 2003 11:10
AMTo: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: RE: Stock
Selection was: [amibroker] Re: NDX / QQQ - Can it be traded
?

<SPAN
>Jayson:  your
advice is very good as well as comprehensive&#8230;.I am still left unsettled as to my
approach.
<SPAN

<SPAN
>Lets say my
indicator/system is relatively short term in nature (lookbacks are somewhat
short).  But, I want to employ some of the principles that Fred talked
about namely to be sure I optimize over a long period so various market
conditions are captured).  [I know the argument that the nature of the
market changed on <SPAN
>3/1/2000<FONT
color=navy face=Arial size=2><SPAN
> and therefore
optimizations should be done after that point---I tend to want to be more
conservative and capture conditions on both sides of the peak].  Also, a
system that optimizes to good performance across that period seems a more
conservative and &#8220;robust&#8221; system.  Witness Freds model of results in his
&#8220;spectacular&#8221; system&#8212;the equity curve kept going up and was smooth as the system
passed over 3/1/2000,
<SPAN

<SPAN
>As I said previously,
the optimization process is a lengthy one, so my approach is to do all of what
you said below in other scans (I pull out of TC2000 many of the conditions you
talk about below).  This is my selection watchlist.  Then, I do not
want to / can not take the time to run optimizations on 300 or 800 stocks so I
want a screening approach that has a good probability of finding stocks that
&#8220;resonate&#8221; with my system.  Then, I will optimize these
stocks.
<SPAN

<SPAN
>I still have to try DTs
approach and probably alter it to conform a little more closely with my
system.  Another approach is that if I have for example some trigger levels
in my model&#8230;..while these might optimize out to extremes for individual members
(think about RSI crossing 30 and 70), then my screening formula might set a
standard trigger of crossing 50 either way.   Stocks that do &#8220;well&#8221;
against the 50/50 cross should do better when optimized to exact levels.
Stocks that do poorly against the 50/50 cross will still do poorly when
optimized.  Don&#8217;t you think this is a correct way of looking at
it?
<SPAN

<SPAN
>Thanks for the
help.  Any further comments on the above point?
<SPAN

<SPAN
>Ken
<SPAN