RE: [amibroker] Re: NDX / QQQ-Can itbe traded? !!!!

Yes
Al, this answers my question.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>Regarding backtesting one stock, you must evaluate how much you can trade
in the stock in order to remain in the limit of your initial slippage input. If
you really want to do it seriously (which I advice), do the test with tick
datas. Then, once you have your limit, program it in AFL. Taking your example
:
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>PositionSize = -1*BuyPrice/(2*ATR(15));
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>YourLimit = ;//here enter the maximum amount you can
trade
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>PositionSize = IIF(PositionSize >
YourLimit;YourLimit;PositionSize);
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
Also,
since I know your are interested in Position sizing, basing your size on ATR can
be tricky. If you enter your trade after a long period of very low volatility,
you will be overloaded if volatility explodes at the moment you enter your
trade. The contrary, being undernloaded, is much less of a problem (and rarely
faced anyway). But this is a bit off topic in this tread
;-).
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
Best
Regards, Jérôme ULRICH

  <FONT face=Tahoma
  size=2>-----Message d'origine-----De : Al Venosa
  [mailto:avcinci@xxxxxxxxxxx]Envoyé : mercredi 5 février 2003
  17:29À : amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxObjet : RE:
  [amibroker] Re: NDX / QQQ-Can itbe traded? !!!!

  Jerome,
  Let me give an example. Suppose I start out at day 0 with an initial equity
  of $100 K. I set my position size thusly:
  PositionSize = -1*BuyPrice/(2*ATR(15));
  If the buyprice is, say, $50 and the ATR is 1.5, then the above position
  size would be 1000*50/3 or $16,667. This is quite reasonable. Now, suppose my
  equity over 10 years has grown to $1,000,000. Assuming everything else is
  the same (ATR, Buyprice), then the position size would be $166,667.
  That's a pretty big stake for one trader trading one stock. I'm risking 1% of
  my current equity, but my current equity has grown 10-fold since I started
  backtesting. If I were trading a basket of 5 or 8 stocks, naturally that
  position size would be smaller because the equity has to be divided among the
  other issues being traded. As I already acknowledged, Amibroker does not
  manage position sizes right now on a basket of stocks; it only does so on one
  stock at a time. Yes, I know TJ is working on this, and I don't want to bug
  him about it again. I was just wondering what others do when
  performing backtests on a single stock to give trading positions that are
  more realistic, that's all. Perhaps one can't, or perhaps your idea of
  exporting the trade list to Excel and creating a VB algorithm would do
  it. I'm certainly not a whiz at VB. Hope this answers your question.
  Al Venosa

  >From: Jerome ULRICH
  >Subject: RE: [amibroker] Re: NDX / QQQ-Can itbe traded? !!!!
  >Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 17:01:44 +0100
  >
  >Al,
  >
  >What do you mean by "when you base position sizing on current
  equity " ? Why
  >is it unrealistic ? All depends on the position sizing
  algorythm. If you
  >mean the way AmiBroker manages position sizing for a basket of
  stocks, then
  >yes, it is unrealistic. But this problem is only due to
  AmiBroker limitation
  >in this domain, and Tomasz is working to improve it. Meanwhile,
  if you want
  >something realistic, you have to export the trades generated by
  AmiBroker in
  >another program (Excel for example), then program an algorythm
  to select
  >which trades are really taken, and in which order, and finally
  apply your
  >position sizing algorythm. It sounds a bit complicated, but
  most people with
  >a minimum of VBA knowledge should be able to tackle it.
  >
  >Best regards, Jerome ULRICH

  Having done
  >that, THEN you may use position size algorithsms to evaluate
  money
  >management schemes. Good idea. However, that still doesn't
  solve the
  >fundamental problem of unrealistic backtest results when you
  base position
  >sizing on current equity. Thanks for the feedback.
  >
  > Al Venosa
  > avcinci@xxxxxxxxxxx
  >
  > >From: Jerome ULRICH
  > >Subject: RE: [amibroker] Re: NDX / QQQ-Can itbe traded?
  !!!!
  > >Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 15:53:37 +0100
  > >
  > >Hello Fred,
  > >
  > >Backtesting system on a constant dollar trades basis
  enables you to
  > >calculate the expectency of your system. Then, you can
  apply your
  >position
  > >sizing algorism, which should include at least a minimum
  size under which
  > >trading should be stopped (that applies especially to
  professionnal
  >traders
  > >that have fix costs to take into account), and a maximum
  size above which
  > >the commission/slippage you included in your test non
  longer applies.

  > >Best regards, Jerome ULRICH

  optimize a trading
  > > system based on constant dollar trades are you ?
  especially if that
  > > sysem is designed to trade a broad index like NDX as
  represented by
  > > QQQ's or for that matter the hundred stocks it
  represents.

  > > --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Yuki Taga wrote:
  > > > Hi Fred,
  > > >
  > > > Wednesday, February 5, 2003, 10:45:49 PM, you wrote:

  > > > Ffyc> Maybe when I get to $50mm I'd agree with
  you, but to limit
  > > > Ffyc> position sizes produces unrealistic results

  > > > Sorry, but you are quite wrong. I thought you were a
  trader, too,
  > > > but now I'm wondering. It is unrealistic, quite
  unrealistic, not to
  > > > limit position sizes to positions that can slip in
  and out of a
  > > > market without distorting it, or actually becoming
  the market.

  > > > Trading anything even close to that size, or
  allowing it to be
  > > > considered as a test, in most stocks, is producing
  results that
  > > > cannot be obtained in real trades, therefore the
  results are absurd.

  > > > I would guess you would have to scale down
  drastically in many
  > > issues
  > > > that are less liquid than others. You can do it or
  not as you see
  > > > fit, but don't expect much respect for the numbers
  you are posting

  amiquote@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  > > (Web page:
  > >
  > > Check group FAQ at:

  > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms
  of Service.

  >--
  > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
  >

  > Post AmiQuote-related messages ONLY to: