RE: [amibroker] Re: NDX / QQQ-Can itbe traded? !!!!

Jerome, Let me give an example. Suppose I start out at day 0 with an initial equity of $100 K. I set my position size thusly: PositionSize = -1*BuyPrice/(2*ATR(15)); If the buyprice is, say, $50 and the ATR is 1.5, then the above position size would be 1000*50/3 or $16,667. This is quite reasonable. Now, suppose my equity over 10 years has grown to $1,000,000. Assuming everything else is the same (ATR, Buyprice), then the position size would be $166,667. That's a pretty big stake for one trader trading one stock. I'm risking 1% of my current equity, but my current equity has grown 10-fold since I started backtesting. If I were trading a basket of 5 or 8 stocks, naturally that position size would be smaller because the equity has to be divided among the other issues being traded. As I already acknowledged, Amibroker does not manage position sizes right now on a basket of stocks; it only does so on one stock at a time. Yes, I know TJ is working on this, and I don't want to bug him about it again. I was just wondering what others do when performing backtests on a single stock to give trading positions that are more realistic, that's all. Perhaps one can't, or perhaps your idea of exporting the trade list to Excel and creating a VB algorithm would do it. I'm certainly not a whiz at VB. Hope this answers your question. Al Venosa >From: Jerome ULRICH >Reply-To: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx >To: >Subject: RE: [amibroker] Re: NDX / QQQ-Can itbe traded? !!!! >Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 17:01:44 +0100 > >Al, > >What do you mean by "when you base position sizing on current equity " ? Why >is it unrealistic ? All depends on the position sizing algorythm. If you >mean the way AmiBroker manages position sizing for a basket of stocks, then >yes, it is unrealistic. But this problem is only due to AmiBroker limitation >in this domain, and Tomasz is working to improve it. Meanwhile, if you want >something realistic, you have to export the trades generated by AmiBroker in >another program (Excel for example), then program an algorythm to select >which trades are really taken, and in which order, and finally apply your >position sizing algorythm. It sounds a bit complicated, but most people with >a minimum of VBA knowledge should be able to tackle it. > >Best regards, Jerome ULRICH > > > -----Message d'origine----- > De : Al Venosa [mailto:avcinci@xxxxxxxxxxx] > Envoye : mercredi 5 fevrier 2003 16:27 > A : amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx > Objet : RE: [amibroker] Re: NDX / QQQ-Can itbe traded? !!!! > > > Good comment, Jerome. I, too, have found that expectancy calculations are >incorrect when one uses compounding in his backtests. Fixing the position >size will indeed enable you to calculate expectancy properly. Having done >that, THEN you may use position size algorithsms to evaluate money >management schemes. Good idea. However, that still doesn't solve the >fundamental problem of unrealistic backtest results when you base position >sizing on current equity. Thanks for the feedback. > > Al Venosa > avcinci@xxxxxxxxxxx > > >From: Jerome ULRICH > >Reply-To: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx > >To: > >Subject: RE: [amibroker] Re: NDX / QQQ-Can itbe traded? !!!! > >Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 15:53:37 +0100 > > > >Hello Fred, > > > >Backtesting system on a constant dollar trades basis enables you to > >calculate the expectency of your system. Then, you can apply your >position > >sizing algorism, which should include at least a minimum size under which > >trading should be stopped (that applies especially to professionnal >traders > >that have fix costs to take into account), and a maximum size above which > >the commission/slippage you included in your test non longer applies. > > > >Best regards, Jerome ULRICH > > -----Message d'origine----- > > De : Fred [mailto:fctonetti@xxxxxxxxx] > > Envoye : mercredi 5 fevrier 2003 15:13 > > A : amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx > > Objet : [amibroker] Re: NDX / QQQ-Can itbe traded? !!!! > > > > > > Yuki, > > > > I'm not arguing your statement in terms of how one might trade in the > > real world, but you are not going to design & optimize a trading > > system based on constant dollar trades are you ? especially if that > > sysem is designed to trade a broad index like NDX as represented by > > QQQ's or for that matter the hundred stocks it represents. > > > > --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Yuki Taga wrote: > > > Hi Fred, > > > > > > Wednesday, February 5, 2003, 10:45:49 PM, you wrote: > > > > > > Ffyc> Maybe when I get to $50mm I'd agree with you, but to limit > > > Ffyc> position sizes produces unrealistic results > > > > > > Sorry, but you are quite wrong. I thought you were a trader, too, > > > but now I'm wondering. It is unrealistic, quite unrealistic, not to > > > limit position sizes to positions that can slip in and out of a > > > market without distorting it, or actually becoming the market. > > > > > > Trading anything even close to that size, or allowing it to be > > > considered as a test, in most stocks, is producing results that > > > cannot be obtained in real trades, therefore the results are absurd. > > > > > > I would guess you would have to scale down drastically in many > > issues > > > that are less liquid than others. You can do it or not as you see > > > fit, but don't expect much respect for the numbers you are posting > > if > > > you don't. They are absurd. > > > > > > Best, > > > > > > Yuki > > > > > > mailto:yukitaga@xxxx > > > > > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor > > ADVERTISEMENT > > > > > > > > > > Post AmiQuote-related messages ONLY to: amiquote@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx > > (Web page: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/amiquote/messages/) > > > > Check group FAQ at: > >http://groups.yahoo.com/group/amibroker/files/groupfaq.html > > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service. > > >---------------------------------------------------------------------------- >-- > Tired of spam? Get advanced junk mail protection with MSN 8. > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor > ADVERTISEMENT > > > > > Post AmiQuote-related messages ONLY to: amiquote@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx > (Web page: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/amiquote/messages/) > > Check group FAQ at: >http://groups.yahoo.com/group/amibroker/files/groupfaq.html > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service. Tired of spam? Get advanced junk mail protection with MSN 8. Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT Post AmiQuote-related messages ONLY to: amiquote@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Web page: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/amiquote/messages/) Check group FAQ at: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/amibroker/files/groupfaq.html Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.