RE: [amibroker] Re: NDX / QQQ-Can itbe traded? !!!!

<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>Al,
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
What
do you mean by "when you base
position sizing on current equity " ? Why
is it unrealistic ? All depends on the position sizing algorythm. If you mean
the way AmiBroker manages position sizing for a basket of stocks, then yes, it
is unrealistic. But this problem is only due to AmiBroker limitation in this
domain, and Tomasz is working to improve it. Meanwhile, if you want something
realistic, you have to export the trades generated by AmiBroker in another
program (Excel for example), then program an algorythm to select which trades
are really taken, and in which order, and finally apply your position sizing
algorythm. It sounds a bit complicated, but most people with a minimum of VBA
knowledge should be able to tackle it.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
Best
regards, Jérôme ULRICH
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>

  <FONT face=Tahoma
  size=2>-----Message d'origine-----De : Al Venosa
  [mailto:avcinci@xxxxxxxxxxx]Envoyé : mercredi 5 février 2003
  16:27À : amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxObjet : RE:
  [amibroker] Re: NDX / QQQ-Can itbe traded? !!!!

  Good comment, Jerome. I, too, have found that expectancy calculations are
  incorrect when one uses compounding in his backtests. Fixing the position size
  will indeed enable you to calculate expectancy properly. Having done that,
  THEN you may use position size algorithsms to evaluate money management
  schemes. Good idea. However, that still doesn't solve the fundamental problem
  of unrealistic backtest results when you base position sizing on current
  equity. Thanks for the feedback.
  Al Venosa<A
  href="">avcinci@xxxxxxxxxxx

  >From: Jerome ULRICH
  >Subject: RE: [amibroker] Re: NDX / QQQ-Can itbe traded? !!!!
  >Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 15:53:37 +0100
  >
  >Hello Fred,
  >
  >Backtesting system on a constant dollar trades basis enables
  you to
  >calculate the expectency of your system. Then, you can apply
  your position
  >sizing algorism, which should include at least a minimum size
  under which
  >trading should be stopped (that applies especially to
  professionnal traders
  >that have fix costs to take into account), and a maximum size
  above which
  >the commission/slippage you included in your test non longer
  applies.

  >Best regards, Jerome ULRICH

  represented by

  wrote:
  > > Hi Fred,
  > >
  > > Wednesday, February 5, 2003, 10:45:49 PM, you wrote:
  > >
  > > Ffyc> Maybe when I get to $50mm I'd agree with you,
  but to limit
  > > Ffyc> position sizes produces unrealistic results
  > >
  > > Sorry, but you are quite wrong. I thought you were a
  trader, too,
  > > but now I'm wondering. It is unrealistic, quite
  unrealistic, not to
  > > limit position sizes to positions that can slip in and
  out of a
  > > market without distorting it, or actually becoming the
  market.

  > > Trading anything even close to that size, or allowing it
  to be
  > > considered as a test, in most stocks, is producing
  results that

  amiquote@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

  > Check group FAQ at:

  Service.