Re: [amibroker] Suggestion for better backtesting/optimization

You can do walk-forward testing now with AB. Simply optimize from,
say, 1997 to 2000, then using the optimum parameter values from that
optimization, backtest on the same stocks from 2000 to present (out of sample
data). You can vary the time periods to do your optimizations and backtests. Of
course, this is 2 steps, but it's not that hard. TJ has said that, later this
year, he will be incorporating in his graphics engine 3-D graphics that enable
the user to view the robustness of an optimization in a manner similar to but
better than the Excel add-in that Herman developed and uploaded earlier. You
would choose parameter values from a flat area of the optimization graph where
the parameter values and equity curve would not change much from one set to
another.

Al V.
<BLOCKQUOTE