RE: [amibroker] Re: Fw: Metastock's formula into AFL

  • To: <amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [amibroker] Re: Fw: Metastock's formula into AFL
  • From: "Ken Close" <closeks@xxxx>
  • Date: 1 Jul 2002 15:40:54 -0000
  • Peter: I understand being new, as I stated. But do you intend to use AB??

If yes, you will need to know how to do basic things. As you become more
familiar, your use of some of the great power of AB will start to come out.
AB can do so much more than metastock, you will hardly believe it.

But you have to start learning, even if it is just basics.

Also, you will learn so much more and get so much more help if you will try
yourself to convert one of your more simple Metastock formulas. Try it in
AB and if you get errors and can not figure out what to do, then post your
message here with the code you tried that did not work. People here will
then point out what needs to be changed and you can use that. Others might
point out a different way of doing the same thing, and you learn even more.

Thanks for responding and I urge you to try some simple codes on your own,
then share your results here, whether they are good or bad.

I should point out that if you have learned Metastock language, the change
to AB is very simple. I copy and paster metastock formulas right into the
AA window of AB and it is amazing that much of it works exactly as copied.
Other changes are of course necessary.

For example, I took one of your messages and copied it in total into the AA
window. The Blue and Bold are commands that are IDENTICAL in AB from MS, so
some of the work is already done.

dn:= 1.0;
up:= 1.0;
gap:= 100*(Open - Ref(Close, -1))/Ref(Close, -1);
prf:= If(gap>=up, Open-Close, If(gap<=-dn, Close-Open,0));
Cum(prf);

In fact, except for having to change ":=" to just "=", and "If" to "Iff",
and turn the last line into an array (XX=Cum(prf); this is all set to try.

Anyway, these are just some thoughts to help and encourage you to "get
going".

Ken