>From:
mroman59

To: <A title=amibroker@xxxxxxxxxx
href="">amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tuesday, April 23, 2002 8:08
AM
Subject: [amibroker] Re: To all AmiBroker
users - Help and Thanks
Ok I think I am sold on AmiBroker for many reasons. Right
now I have unregistered version and looking at script writing. I have
little programing back ground so it will take some time to get up to speed
with writing scripts. I like the fact that it has fudamental data but
I don't need it right now and I know that this information will cost
for download. For learning purposes, and until profits I make with
trades, I will use free yahoo data. I know the graphs are not
impressive compared to some other programs that I have used, but like
you say they will probably change with upgrades. As long as I get free
download data from Yahoo it well worth the try of the program. If yahoo
takes away free data then I think this will be a disappointment to many
users. This is only one of the reasons why I am attracted to
AmiBroker.To get me upto speed, could someone tell how I can get a
file containing all US stocks in Nasdaq, NYSE, and AMEX to add to
AmiBroker. I don't want to hand type them in. If some one can send me
a file I can import them in. I will use yahoo to download historical
data. Then if this goes well I will write a script concerning
trendreversals and then I will have to register to be able to back
test. Would anyone be willing to help me figure how I can easily
populate my unregister version painlessly? Thank you
much.Mike--- In
amibroker@xxxx, "Rick Parsons" <RickParsons@xxxx> wrote:> An
interesting observation:  The Metastock forum although around longer,
seems to be declining in posts.  Only 3 posts were made to the
Metastock forum this past 12 hours compared to 33 for Amibroker.>
> Rick>   -----Original
Message----->   From: Listes trading
[mailto:listes.trading@xxxx]>   Sent: Tuesday, April 23,2002
7:09 AM>   To: amibroker@xxxx>   Subject:
RE: [amibroker] To all AmiBroker users - Questions> >
>   As a long time user of MS and new user of AB, here are
some personal opinions that may help you in your choice.>
>   MS is a very good software to display and visually
analyse stocks. For the moment, AB is a little bit behind MS regarding the
quality of the interface. But AB chart engine will be totally
rewritten in the near future and will probably fill the gap.>
>   If you want to write your own indicators and build your
own trading systems, AB is like milk and honey while MS is a bitter
stuff. With AB, you can do whatever you want. There is only 2
limitations: your imagination and your ability to develop. AB language
is quite close to MS one (so that it is very easy to translate MS formulas
to AB) with a lot of improvements. Furthermore, limitations in AB language
can be overcome as you can include JScript or VBScript pieces of code
inside your AB code. For instance, it will allow you to create complex
calculations involving control loops.>   For skilled
programers, it is possible to create dll in C++ language that can be
called from AB (you can do the same with MS if you buy a developper kit
and are clever enough to understand how to access to the data
files!!!).> >   Among the infinity of things thatyou
can do easily with AB and that will bring you endless headaches with MS,
here are some:>     a.. total control of your
trades (entry/exit at stop prices, entry/exit on the same bar, totally
programmable stops,...) >     b.. backtest of a
system on a whole database at the speed of light (with MS, you have to
test securities one by one) >     c.. creationof
complex composite securities (with a few lines of code, you can buildthe
historical curve of the number of oversold/overbought stocks in a specific
market or see on how many open positions your trading system is
invested,...) >     d.. ... and so many others
!!!>   In terms of support, you just need to know
that:>     a.. there are more improvements in AB in
one single week than in 5 years of MS new releases
>     b.. AB developers are in permanent contact
with the users through this mailing list, providing a fantastic support
and including in "real time" the users suggestions in the new releases
>     c.. you are supported by all AB users who
exchange ideas, pieces of code, answer your questions, help you to debug
your formulas,... if you have a problem, just mention it and in less than
2 hours, AB developpers or users will provide you with the solution
>     d.. and so many others
!!!>   As you can see, I am a fan of AB. It is the charting
software I was dreaming for years.> >
Waz> > >     -----Original
Message----->     From: mroman59
[mailto:mroman59@xxxx]>     Sent: mardi 23 avril
2002 00:52>     To:
amibroker@xxxx>     Subject: [amibroker] To all
AmiBroker users - Questions> > >
I have just found advertisement for AmiBroker and I am trying to
>     figure out if the program will meet my needs.
I must say for the >     price it appears
impressive, but I would like some imput from
users.>     It appears that it is free download
for trial period, so I will do >     this and
try to get a feel for what the program can do.>
>     1. Has anyone used MetaStock and if so can
you give me your opinion >     on the
similarities, pros and cons, capabilities etc. of the two
>     programs? I am looking into purchasing
MetaStock but it is a bit >     pricy and data
download by 2nd party is costly.> >    2.
My main interest is to be able to screen stocks based on my onw
>     price and volume criteria. For example,
stocks with 3 consecutive >     increases in
combination with double its  3 month avg volume for any
>     given period of time or 13 dma > 30 dma
etc. No fundamental data will >     be required
but is a plus. Can it do this?> >     3.
After stocks are screened according to my criteria, then have the
>     ability to back test all screened stocksand
rank them by greatest >     return. Can itdo
this.> >     4. Can one trade through the
program, granted that the brokerage firm >
allows for such a link between the program and their server?>
>     5. Is the download of data from Yahoo
seamless and free from Yahoo? > >     6.
Can one download historical data from yahoo for stocks so that
>     backtesting can be performed?>
>     7. Does Amibroker generate automatic buyand
sell signals with built >     in technical
analysis indicators, like other programs do such as
>     omnitrader? >
>     8. has anyone tried to program Amibrokerto
use the formulas provided >     by the book
called Beating the Trend? You can find it by performing a
>     website search.  If so, how easy was it
to program according to this >
formula.> >     9. What does Amibroker have
in to do with the following >     advertisement:
>     -rewritten database handling: abstract data
access layer allowing >     direct access to
QP2/TC2000/Metastock databases without the need to
>     import
(3.84+)>     -pre-written direct data feed DLLs
from Quotes Plus (3.84+), TC2000, >
Metastock databases (3.87+) >     - a
"summary-only" mode in the backtester providing 2-3 times faster
>     backtesting of large databases
(3.87+).>     - support for money management
(position sizing) in >     backtester/optimizer
(3.90)> >     My question again, I thought
that data feed was free from Yahoo?> >
10. Is it true that the cost is only $79, after trial date is up?
>     There appears to be upgrades in the works
i.e. AmiBroker 4.0 >     versions. How much does it
cost for upgrade versions?> >     ThankYou
for and information you can provide. I greatly appreciate
>     your imput and mention about other
applications that you have used.> > > >
> > >     Your use of Yahoo! Groups
is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service. > >
>         Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

ADVERTISEMENT>

>        >
>   Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms
of Service.Your
href="">Yahoo! Terms of Service.