Re: [amibroker] Re: Message board - Let's give it a try

Dear John,

I installed VBulletin Lite version which is free. User profiles
and more advanced stuff is available in paid version ($89 a year)
of VBulletin software.

I decided to install a free version just to have some feedback
and to see how web-based board will work for you and me.

Yesterday Manioc has generously offered his unused license for the paid
version to be used for the evaluation on AmiBroker site.

I have tested the full version on my local machine and
while it is superior to the "lite" product it also consumes much more
server resources (RAM, MySQL server space, processing time),
can generate *LOTS* of web & e-mail traffic if mail notifications are used,
and generally speaking is much heavier.

I use rented server space and I have to pay for excessive resource use.
A "lite" version is much more polite to the server resources.

Unfortunatelly even paid version does NOT have a feature that
I find to be very useful for me: the ability to download all the new messages
to my computer, disconnect, write the responses offline and then
send them all in one bulk as I do with ordinary e-mails or newsgroup (NNTP) messages.
Why I would need such functionality?
Simply bacause I travel often, and connect to the internet using various
methods (DSL, standard dial-up, or even GSM mobile phone 9.6K connection) and it is important
to me to minimize the bandwidth and connection time.

So, because I miss some important functionality and I would like to "lighten" server usage a bit
I would need to tweak the code by myself.
Then - if I need to tweak the code is it better to tweak the free "lite" version or
full one? At this point I don't have an answer.

Best regards,
Tomasz Janeczko
http://www.amibroker.com