From: Dimitris Tsokakis
To: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Sunday, July 29, 2001 2:35 PM
Subject: [amibroker] NDX, Fib time and MACD

If I begin from the March 2000 High, I am quite out of April 2001 low.
(27 days and the worse thing is that the next vertical line will be much later)
If I begin from minor Sept 2000 high, I buy 5 days before April 2001 low.
(There is a simple question here: Why I have to buy? Shall I buy in any
Fib vertical line?)
As for MACD, what is the proposal?
Buy at A, sorry, a whipsaw, buy again at B, sorry, sell at C, sorry, buy
again at D and this will be your lucky time?
This is not serious.
In other words, the main problem with MACD is the well known
whipsaws which may cause a great damage, especially if you are the type
of day-trader who would risk to buy the day before.
My question for Fibonacci sequences is simple :Where is the begining of
"time". As I read, at a distinct high or law. Is this correct?
Any answer appreciated.
Best regards
Dimitris Tsokakis

------=_NextPart_001_0024_01C11853.99225200

<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-7">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><STRONG><FONT size=2>Dimitris:</FONT></STRONG></DIV>
<DIV><STRONG><FONT size=2></FONT></STRONG>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><STRONG><FONT size=2>First, for the tools that you are using you have to
adjust periodicity to the time frame.&nbsp; With these tools, if you are going
to analyze long periods of time&nbsp;larger periodicity should be used.&nbsp; It
makes no sense to use a tool such as Fibonacci time when it is preset at a
maximum number that cannot reach the end of the move, as well as
being&nbsp;relatively insensitive at the longer times.&nbsp;&nbsp;In addition,
as you change periodicity (and sometimes even markets) you will have to learn
what parameters to use for the indicators.&nbsp; Unfortunately, I do not seem to
be able to adjust the parameters for two MACD charts independently, so in the
attached daily example I only show one, but you can check the standard 12/26/9
setting versus the one below.&nbsp; In addition,&nbsp;you will have to learn
what indicators work best, especially for daily and intraday trading, including
a number that are not standard in AB.&nbsp; Also, at least in my experience, the
lower the periodicity the more refined the&nbsp;Fibonacci and similar studies
have to become, extending beyond what is currently available.&nbsp; For example,
using standard Fibonacci time&nbsp;analysis from 3/24/00 to 9/1/00 producesa
1.618 time target of 5/22/01 (on target).&nbsp; In practice, one runs&nbsp;a
number of such segments and looks for time clusters.&nbsp; Similarly, one can
look for price clusters.&nbsp; One also needs to be able under some conditions
to do the analysis with calendar days, not trading days - particularly for Gann
studies, which have the advantage of being able to project from a single
point.&nbsp; In all cases, one looks for price and time to converge in
conjunction with indicator reinforcement.&nbsp; When that occurs you are
probably at a critical point.&nbsp;&nbsp;This is not a systems approach to
trading, but rather one based on line-type studies that many find&nbsp;work
quite well.&nbsp; </FONT></STRONG></DIV>
<DIV><STRONG><FONT size=2></FONT></STRONG>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><STRONG><FONT size=2>In your example, there is no attempt to projectprice,
just time with a relatively crude study (Fibonacci time study) that is
mismatched for the periodicity and time frame chosen.&nbsp; Given time and price
projections,&nbsp;appropriate use of indicators will help pick out the critical
point when more than one is present, which is often the case.&nbsp; Most find
that they have to spend a fair amount of time studying various aspects of this
approach, as it is not a cookbook approach to trading.&nbsp; So do not be
surprised it you&nbsp;do not succeed the first time, especially if all of the
required tools are not available to you.&nbsp; The current&nbsp;tools, however,
are most probably OK for the type of mutual fund trading that I think Nate does,
and the previous example is right up those lines.&nbsp; In that example, Nate
would have traded 3-4 times during the year and captured a good part&nbsp;of the
move from 120 to 34.&nbsp; Not bad.</FONT></STRONG></DIV>
<DIV><STRONG><FONT size=2></FONT></STRONG>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><STRONG><FONT size=2>Bill</FONT></STRONG></DIV>
<DIV><STRONG><FONT size=2></FONT></STRONG>&nbsp;</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE
<DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message ----- </DIV>
<DIV
style="BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; FONT: 10pt arial; font-color: black"><B>From:</B>
<A title=TSOKAKIS@xxxx href="mailto:TSOKAKIS@xxxx";>Dimitris
Tsokakis</A> </DIV>
<DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>To:</B> <A title=amibroker@xxxxxxxxxx
href="mailto:amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx";>amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx</A> </DIV>
<DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Sunday, July 29, 2001 2:35 PM</DIV>
<DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> [amibroker] NDX, Fib timeand
MACD</DIV>
<DIV><BR></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>If I begin from the March 2000 High, I am quite out of April
2001 low.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>(27 days and the worse thing is that the next vertical line
will be much later)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>If I begin from minor Sept 2000 high, I&nbsp;buy 5 days
before April 2001 low.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>(There is a simple question here: Why I have to buy? Shall I
buy in any </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>Fib vertical line?)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>As for MACD, what is the proposal?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>Buy at A, sorry, a whipsaw, buy again at B, sorry, sell at
C, sorry, buy</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>again at D and this will be your lucky time?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>This is not serious.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>In other words, the main problem with MACD is the well
known</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>whipsaws which may cause a great damage, especially if you
are the type</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>of day-trader who would risk to buy the day
before.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>My question for Fibonacci sequences is simple :Where is the
begining of</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>"time". As I read, at a distinct high or law. Is this
correct?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>Any answer appreciated.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>Best regards</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>Dimitris Tsokakis</FONT></DIV><BR><BR><TT>Your
href="http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/";>Yahoo! Terms of Service</A>.</TT>
<BR></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_001_0024_01C11853.99225200--

gif00087.gif