Re: Comments on Backtesting

--- In amibroker@xxxx, "DIMITRIS TSOKAKIS" <TSOKAKIS@xxxx> wrote:

> Since you believe mechanical backtesting spurious and you do not
think
> it is wise to rank AFLīs by backtesting results, show me, please,
> another way to rank AFLīs and show me, please, another, not
spurious
> system.

Dimitris,

I'm sorry I misunderstood you.

I believe mechanical backtesting is valid if it's done with rigorous
statistical controls. Backtesting with any PC software's "backtest"
button is a good feature to have but we have to be careful
interpreting the results. The results could be spurious. That's
really all I am saying.

I am going to be working on some AFL's soon that exploit a few well-
known chart patterns that were shown in academic research to generate
statistically valid returns in excess of the major indices. I'll
share them when I finish...

Regards,

Jim Varney