Re: Comments on Backtesting

Backtesting is a good thing.

Almost my whole Amibroker database is based upon specific stock
selection criteria. Therefore my complete Amibroker database is very
specific and I expect positive things from it. I have other sets of
stocks which I compare these against using my indicators and systems,
these being the Naz 100, Dow Jones Utilities, Dow Jones Industries.
BTW, I use High Growth Stock methods to get very specific fundamental
stock performance criteria. This can be found at
www.highgrowthstock.com .

Now when I test against say the NAZ 100 and compare them with my very
specific sets of stocks then I have a much better understanding of
the dynamics. It is very interesting that stock selection is the
most important aspect to making a system perform well. But a poor
trading system can even make the best stock perform badly.

I like backtesting since it can give me a completely objective view
of whether one method of trading is better than another.

Steve