>From:
server
not recognized
To: <A title=amibroker@xxxxxxxxxx
href="">amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Friday, May 25, 2001 9:06 AM
Subject: Re: [amibroker] Vertical
Lines

If its all the same to you I'll have the last word.

You've obviously decided and your mind is made up and
Gann is for you.  Fine. So don't pretend all I have to do is show a table
of result comparisons.  We both know that even if I were inclined I'd
have to run every indicator known to man in every conceiveable scenario with
Gann finishing last to convince you.  Its disengenious of you to
suggest all I'd have to do in one apparently innoccous sentence.  If
I showed only one occassion where anything was better than Gann it wouldn't
mean anything.  To develop the statitiscs to demonstrate that Gann's
inferiority was statistically significant we both know is a mountainof
work.

OTOH as you mention candlesticks, Japanese candlesticks HAVE
been assessed and the markets HAVE changed and the classical reponses HAVE
changed.  It doesn't invalidate candlesticks, just changes how you have
to work with them. This is a lot easier to prove. Amibroker can showit
now if any care to look. In fact fading the classic indicators is more likely
just as the MACD(26,12) artifact is used by professional traders to screwthe
little guys who never change the defaults in Metastock.

The square property you try and ascribe to normal
distribution of prices is incorrect, prices are probably log normal.
They also have long memory (hurst et al).  So its at best an
approximation - which is OK so long as its borne in mind while using
it.

The Black-Scholes model of option
pricing is based on a normal (random walk) distribution of price
movements. Random walk (Brownian motion) models result
in an expected price excursion that varies with the square rootof
time. Over time, stock price movement have been shown to randomly
distributed, so the fact that the square root factor pops up in both theory
and practice is not surprising.  So to directly address your comment,
prices are probably not log normal distributed.  I have not read theMIT
studies for sometime, but I believe that was their conclusion
also.

To completely ignore that since 1950 a HUGE amount oftime
(read $) has been spent on time series analysis, and just about anything else
that walks, to make trading systems that work.  Normal folk manage by
rotating through indicators/oscillators and time constants slowly with time as
tried and true lose their effectiveness.  Most have a select group for
primary work and maintain a stable of those in waiting that could work orshow
promise, rather than seek a Holy Grail indicator.  Since Gann died what
developments have there been?  Connie notwithstanding.  Mockingmy
comments about age is not arguement.  You are suggesting that in 2050
Gann as-is will be used, 2150 etc.  The fact Connie spent a whole chapter
trying to condense the ramblings of Gann, and she's spent a career on it,from
which you pick two simple ideas, should be warning enough that traders
shouldn't waste time with Gann looking for the hidden secret.  A secret
powerful enough to need to be coded and hidden away.  The secret isn't
there.  You've probably extracted about as much as is worth using - a
technique and MM.

Enough for now.  I hope this discussion has provoked
some thought from others at least. While not about Amibroker, it is about
trading, and some of the power of Amibroker can be used to check some
of the flakier ideas out fast without wasting time.

In the meantime I'm sure if something you deign is earth
moving happens,  worth discussing and of great importance you'll
tell us.

<BLOCKQUOTE