Comparing REBOL @ getting Yahoo! quotes

Hello, Everyone:

I was interested in the speed of getting lots of Yahoo! quotes using REBOL
compared with Tomasz's figures in the 6/2001 newsletter, since both methods
use HTTP GET. (At this point, comparative figures are my only interest here,
since I can't use Tomasz's method yet.) BTW, I noticed tonight that the web
site has been changed so that I now can go back without getting non-cached
page error reports - thanks Tomasz.

Without boring you with the math that I used to do a comparison using
different equipment, in 8Min, I figured that REBOL would get well over 12100
quotes (and more than likely > 13000) in the same time as Tomasz gets ~5000
(everything else being equal, of course). Interesting...

My REBOL process asks for 15 quotes at a time, building one file as it goes
along. This is less quotes per request than Tomasz's method, but it is done
for convenience in writing the code. This doesn't come close to pushing the4K
GET limit, nor does it seem to negatively affect the speed overall. The file
is only written once, not appended, for file system speed. It only takes a few
seconds more to use the very fast ASCII format that I made for these quotes,
even though I can't do my normal error checking with it. In all, the process
is noticably faster than all of the other US sites that I support in a similar
way.

Yahoo! has one main advantage for intraday quotes - it's really quick!
It's biggest downfall is that it doesn't support a noticable number of
tickers that I have tried to follow over the years.

The REBOL programming language is available for all computers for which
AmiBroker is available. The same code runs on both platforms and, currently, I
only use REBOL to get quotes. www.rebol.com

=== FYI =====

RIP

Dr. Claude Shannon, 82, the author of what is considered "the most important
master thesis ever written" (back in 1948). His ideas included:
- use 1, 0 to solve mathematical problems (now used for computer code)
- use circuit ON/OFF switching (making the computer possible)
- 8 years later, he solved how to send data over phone lines
(BBS, e-mail, Internet, etc.)

http://ca.yahoo.com/Science/Mathematics/Mathematicians/Shannon__Claude__1916_2001_/

--

The World of AmiBroker Support