Re: [amibroker] logarithmic scale

Hello, David:

On 15-Jan-01, David Holzgrefe wrote:

> Thanks Donald for the reply reading back through the newsgroup you would be
> one of the main contributor to ami,

I am trying to make my responses broad enough to help the PC users, too.

> The scaling doesn't matter a great deal for short term views say 2 or 3
> month but when looking at longer time frames log is the best method as
> described by you.(IMHO Too)

If the price changes enough in whatever timeframe, log charts can help. My
inspirational booting chart has a tripling price in the last two months ;^)
and it still benefits from log scaling. The main thing is to stop changing
back and forth between linear and log, once the differences are understood.
It's an unnecessary time waster and will only increase the new user's learning
curve.

> What I did notice was when checking the log box it cropped the chart,
> cutting off the wicks on days and on one chart it gobbled up volume bars at
> the bottom of the chart !

With the Amiga version, Tomasz has worked out any scaling problems I found in
the past. Maybe its a PC version problem.

I checked a few charts for cut-off wicks, but I didn't find any. There was
always a small gap to the chart's boundary.

As to volumes, the shortest bar was 10% of the size of one that had a value
ten times greater, so I didn't see a problem with volumes, either.

Did you check the data?

--

The World of AmiBroker Support