[RT] OIL / Energy

I felt the need to throw in my 2 cents re oil so here we go.

Not only "should" we reduce our dependency on oil for economic (which is a serious issue) and environmental reasons, but we need to for national security reasons.

We must get a candidate in office, and we must get "representatives" that have the testicular fortitude to develop a national energy policy that will make the United States as energy independent as possible, as quickly as possible.

Our politicians will not stop being the puppets of the oil companies for obvious reasons. We will never see $40/barrel oil again in my opinion due to how the rest of the world is developing and how the demand for this limited resource is increasing and supplies are dwindling...and they are dwindling. Oil companies need to drill deeper, in more remote areas, develop newer technologies to get to the oil they find, and then to pump it out of the ground.

Not one oil producing country or company wants cheaper oil. I think their extraction and refining costs are fixed for the most part. They will all stand idly by and watch this country disintegrate from the inside out for the sake of profit, national interest, or revenge.

Many developing countries who are now awash in oil, some of which have been our adversary for over half a century, will not hesitate for one second to turn the spigot off if they could and watch us crumble.

Yes, we are a large consumer of oil, but it is no longer like it was in the past where the US was the primary (perhaps) consumer of oil and oil producing countries needed us as much as we needed them. The rest of the world is developing and the US will be "needed" less and less by the oil producing countries. We will shrink from being perhaps their best customer, to just one of many. And if we become too much of an irritant, perhaps they wont even want our business anymore. I understand we have a global oil market to a large extent, but with many non opec countries coming into play (at least I think there are) , that could disappear as well. Oil producing countries one day might pick and choose who they want to sell their oil to. We are already dealing with that issue now.

In my opinion, most if not all of them would love to see us fall economically and militarily. Yes, we buy a lot of "stuff" and yes we are a decent investment for many countries. Our economies are linked to some extent. But, as time goes on, we will be needed less and less until the world realizes they can get along just fine without us. When China itself, and India, and Latin American countries, developing African countries, start buying more and more stuff over the years, the less important we become.

As our politicians tell us what we want to hear about hope, change, national health coverage, tax breaks etc., from what little I have heard from each, none of them have touched upon a national energy policy to address the oil "crisis." And if they have, it's BS in my opinion. Has everyone already conceded that $100 oil is ok? What about if and when it hits $150, $200 or more? As our nation falls, oil producing countries are building resorts with this transfer of our wealth.

That is the greatest threat to our country, economically and militarily.

We need a national energy policy where solar is used in those areas of the country where it would be most efficient, wind turbines in the areas of the country where it would be most efficiently utilized, geothermal etc. The prices of all these technologies would drop dramatically if we created the demand for them, prior to $200/barrel oil and $10/gal gas and heating oil.

I do not think nuclear is a "great" option due to the quantity of fissionable material that is required that cannot be made safe. The cost of storage will never end so what's the real cost of the energy? I do not think burning coal, a great resource of ours, is a great option due to all the chemical by products. Even if we could make the "exhaust" clean, I think we would still be left over with hundreds of millions of tons of mercury and other noxious by products.

The proper technologies are there, they just need to be implemented on a mass scale for the price to come down dramatically. Its simple economics. No new house in a sun belt area should be built in the future without the majority of its roof covered in solar panels and perhaps a small wind turbine if the area warrants it. I'm sure they can be made to be somewhat fashionable looking. Imagine running your air conditioner, refrigerator, and all your electronic appliances all day through early evening at no cost, except the initial outlay. Imagine charging your electric car for free.

I would gladly pay $10,000 initially, built into the price of a new home to be off the energy grid to a large extent. $10,000 @ 6% interest is only $60/mo. Who has an electric bill anywhere near $60/mo. anymore. Plus, as time goes on, utilities will only get more expensive to remain on the grid.

In my opinion, the advent of the computer and all the thousands of peripheral technologies (and jobs) that have come from it has fueled the economic boon the US has experienced over the past 20 years. I think the next economic boon can come from alternate energy development, production and implementation.

There was a program on TV, modern marvels perhaps, where they showcased a Fed Ex terminal at an airport ( I think), where they had their entire roof covered in solar panels and that supplied them with all or most of the energy they needed to operate during the day and into the evening.

It's doable today. The technology is there now. The oil companies don't want it to happen and now they have even more money to make sure that it doesn't. Let them buy up all these alternate technologies, I do not care. We simply have to take the oil needle out of our arms.

For my simple mind, the solution is simple. It just takes the will and fortitude to get it done.

That's my 2 cents. Or perhaps it was a nickels worth. But I doubt much more than that.

Lee