Re: [RT] wachovia May Face New Mortgage Writedowns - Financials * US * News

Ira:

I'm not trying to vie for the crustiest, dourest,
crankiest or oldest trader here--and I'd be the last
to claim I was the only one warning of a day of
reckoning coming.

But having worked for a forecasting economist for the
Bureau of Labor Statistics and then for Reagan's
election campaign [then I swore off the profession for
good], I am constantly amazed when I point out the
rate of growth of M3 and explain how that 17 pct
annualized growth translates into real 17-20 pct
inflation, I get blank stares from other traders that
actually tell me with a straight face, 'But the
government says inflation is only running at 3-4 pct!'

I've seen them doctor the official numbers, I worked
on a research project at the University of Chicago for
a Professor that then got a Nobel prize in Economics
in part for his work in the study of the 'creeping
revisions' inherent in the 'official' economic
releases by our government, I was the main person
doing intervention for the Fed for about 7 years in
the U.S. in the currency markets, stock indices
futures, interest rate markets, and credit markets [as
in washing a firm's name because they baankrupt but
the market didn't know it yet]. But you don't have to
have done any of that to know the truth about
inflation or the housing mess. For inflation, look at
your grocery bill, your energy bill, your medical
insurance bill. If you think they are only growing at
4 pct a year...Oh boy. Please tell me where you get
your food, energy and health care so I can get some at
that rate. In terms of the housing market...In the
Chicago-land area, two of the oldest and largest home
builders have already went bankrupt and are in such
debt, they both announced that are not coming out of
bankruptcy--they had no assets to liquidate. And even
though housing prices are not going to fall here like
they have on the east and west coasts, there is little
or no demand at any price. There's going to be more of
these large builders failing, and you won't even read
about the mid to small builders that fail.

Lending institutions? They should get what they
deserve. They made a pact with the devil. Let them
roast for it. I have no sympathy. And there is
literally nothing the Fed can do--ask the Japanese
government how easy it is to prop up a falling mess.

If it's too good to believe, it just ain't true.
Believe what you know and what you can see and touch
and feel...all else, treat with pure skepticism until
you can verify it yourself. Gurus and governments?
Bahhh...and that includes me. If you cannot verify
what I say, take it with a large grain of salt. It's
the best way to approach trading, the markets,
anything involving money and most of life in general.
Of course, it does mean you have to think for yourself
instead of listening to the steady offical beat of the
talking heads and the government...

Here's to a healthy, happy 2008!

Tim

<*> Your email settings: