[RT] Why is RT so quiet?

I'd like to offer my observations on this question.

First of all, I think that the slowdown is a reflection of larger
forces at work. A number of lists that I have joined or monitored
show the same phenomenon: a steady decline in participation that has
occurred over the past 12 months.

My own view is that many of these lists were started in the throes of
the last bear market in stocks that lasted from 2000 til 2003. A year
ago the consensus of people on these lists was that the bearish trend
of the previous 3 years would continue indefinitely.

Since then two things have happened. First, the S&P has risen 50%
from its lows, thereby confounding the consensus expectation. Second,
market volatility has steadily declined. This is an entirely
different environment from that which prevailed in 2000-2002.

Over the years I have observed that the first reaction traders and
investors have to being wrong about the direction of a big move is to
withdraw into a kind of shell.  Confronting the market on its own
terms and adjusting their thinking to its new trend is just too
painful.  So they try to ingnore it by focusing on things other than
investment and trading.

That in a word is what I think is happening on RT and on many other
lists.

Carl