  >From:
  <A title=Duke.Jones@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  href="">Duke Jones, CMT
  To: <A title=realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  href="">realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

  Sent: Monday, February 23, 2004 3:59
  PM
  Subject: RE: [RT] HOMESTAKE MINING $
  GOLD

  <SPAN
  >Charles is the
  interview?
  <SPAN

  >“<SPAN
  >TAYLOR<SPAN
  >: No, actually Homestake's share price
  initially fell too from $83.50 just before the crash to $65 about two weeks
  after the crash. So perhaps the law of substitution did initially apply. But
  from November 15th and thereafter, Homestake's shares rose dramatically, to a
  high of over $500 by 1936. And during 1932, when the DJIA had lost 90%, <SPAN
  class=SpellE>Homestake's shares had reached $162. So investors who
  diversified their portfolios with a little Homestake
  were able to travel through the Great Depression relatively unscathed, while
  those who owned only the Dow Jones Industrials, were
  devastated.”
  <SPAN
  ><A
  href="">http://www.usagold.com/TaylorBatraCrash.html
  <SPAN

  <SPAN

  <SPAN
  >Duke
  Jones, CMT
  <SPAN
  >Longboat
  Global Advisors, LLC
  <SPAN
  >www.longboatglobal.com
  <SPAN
  >www.sectorrotationfund.com
  <SPAN

  <SPAN
  Message-----From: Charles
  Meyer [mailto:chaze@xxxxxxxx] <SPAN
  >Sent: <st1:date Year="2004"
  Day="23" Month="2"><SPAN
  >Monday, February 23,
  2004<SPAN
  > <st1:time
  Minute="26" Hour="14"><SPAN
  >2:26
  PM<SPAN
  realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<SPAN
  >Subject: [RT] HOMESTAKE MINING $
  GOLD
  <FONT face="Times New Roman"
  size=3>

  <SPAN
  >Thank you
  Duke-

  <FONT face="Times New Roman"
  size=3>

  <SPAN
  >Unfortunately; a google search
  didn't turn up the article referenced.  In this article;
  he referenced the fact that the price
  of

  <SPAN
  >Homestake Mining SOARED during the
  depression of the 30's.  How odd is this; or difficult to understand;
  given that the

  <SPAN
  >economy at that time was
  undergoing massive deflationary pressures?  I can only suppose that it
  has something to do with

  <SPAN
  >the following historical events;
  on which I would like someone to please comment?  I suppose the question
  I'm asking is that

  <SPAN
  >if the economy teeters towards
  deflation; can't a case be again made for gold?   Many feel that
  gold will not be a good

  <SPAN
  >investment in a deflationary
  scenerio.

  <FONT face="Times New Roman"
  size=3>

  <SPAN

  <FONT face="Times New Roman"
  size=3>

  <SPAN
  >"An aftermath of the Panic of 1929
  was a wave of currency hoarding and gold withdrawals which resulted in the
  failure of 5,504 banks between 1930 and 1933.  Commodity prices sank to
  their lowest levels in 20 years.  To restore confidence in the banks, to
  stop the gold drain, and to bring about higher commodity prices, President
  Roosesvelt issued a proclamation of <st1:date Year="1933"
  Day="6" Month="3"><SPAN
  >March 6,
  1933<SPAN
  >,

  <FONT face="Times New Roman"
  size=3>

  <SPAN
  >*  closing all the banks in
  the courtry for 4 days,

  <SPAN
  >*  placing an embargo on the
  export of gold, silver and currency during that period,
  and

  <SPAN
  >*  ordering that gold and
  silver could not be exported or withdrawn except on a license from the
  Treasury Department.

  <FONT face="Times New Roman"
  size=3>

  <SPAN
  >The President's actions were
  confirmed by Congress in the Emergency Banking Relief Act of
  <FONT face=Arial
  size=2>March 9,
  1933<SPAN
  >, which also authorized the
  Secretary of Treasury to call in all gold and gold certificates in the
  country.  The foregoing government actions took the
  <SPAN
  >U.S.<FONT
  face=Arial size=2> off the
  gold standard and made it illegal for
  <SPAN
  >U.S.<FONT
  face=Arial size=2> citizens
  to own gold."

  <FONT face="Times New Roman"
  size=3>

  <SPAN
  >From "Historical Survey--Gold
  Prices" by David Williams......CYCLES Sep/Oct
  1981.

  <FONT face="Times New Roman"
  size=3>

  <SPAN
  >Prior
  to <SPAN
  >Roosevelt<FONT
  face=Arial size=2>'s
  actions; gold was selling around $20/oz.  Here is some pricing info
  after <SPAN
  >Roosevelt<FONT
  face=Arial size=2>'s
  actions:

  <FONT face="Times New Roman"
  size=3>

  <SPAN
  >"The money panic was
  checked.  Then the President authorized the Secretary of the Treasure to
  buy gold at higher prices, viz. $29.62 an ounce at the end of August 1933,
  $31.36 on <FONT
  face=Arial size=2>October
  25, 1933<SPAN
  >, $34.06 on
  <FONT face=Arial
  size=2>December 18,
  1933<SPAN
  > and $35 on
  <FONT face=Arial
  size=2>January 31,
  1934<SPAN
  >; at which level it remained for
  the next 37 years and the dollar was only worth
  59.06."

  <SPAN

  <SPAN
  >  Thanks for any thoughts or
  comments.

  <FONT face="Times New Roman"
  size=3>

  <SPAN
  >Chas
  <BLOCKQUOTE

    <SPAN

    <FONT
    face=Arial size=2><SPAN
    >From:<FONT
    face=Arial size=2> <A
    title=Duke.Jones@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    href="">Duke Jones, CMT

    <FONT face=Arial
    size=2><SPAN
    >To:<FONT
    face=Arial size=2> <A
    title=realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    href="">realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    <FONT face=Arial
    size=2><SPAN
    >Sent:<FONT
    face=Arial size=2>
    <FONT face=Arial
    size=2>Monday, February
    23, 2004<SPAN
    > <st1:time
    Minute="3" Hour="14"><SPAN
    >2:03
    PM<SPAN

    <FONT face=Arial
    size=2><SPAN
    >Subject:<FONT
    face=Arial size=2> RE:
    [RT] GEN: ECONOMIST FROM SMU: DR BARTA?

    <FONT face="Times New Roman"
    size=3><SPAN

    <FONT face=Arial
    color=navy size=2><SPAN
    >Ravi<FONT
    face=Arial color=navy size=2><SPAN

    Batra
    <FONT face=Arial color=navy
    size=2><SPAN

    <FONT face=Tahoma color=blue
    size=2><SPAN
    >Duke
    Jones, CMT
    <FONT face=Tahoma color=blue
    size=2><SPAN
    >Longboat
    Global Advisors, LLC
    <FONT face=Tahoma color=blue
    size=2><SPAN
    ><A
    href="">www.longboatglobal.com
    <FONT face=Tahoma color=blue
    size=2><SPAN
    ><A
    href="">www.sectorrotationfund.com
    <FONT face=Arial color=navy
    size=2><SPAN

    <SPAN
    >-----Original
    Message-----From: Charles
    Meyer [mailto:chaze@xxxxxxxx] <SPAN
    >Sent: <st1:date
    Year="2004" Day="23" Month="2"><SPAN
    >Monday, February 23,
    2004<SPAN
    > <st1:time
    Minute="59" Hour="13"><SPAN
    >1:59
    PM<SPAN
    ><SPAN
    >To: REAL TRADERS<SPAN
    >Subject: [RT] GEN: ECONOMIST FROM SMU:
    DR BARTA?
    <FONT face="Times New Roman"
    size=3>

    <SPAN
    >Group-

    <FONT face="Times New Roman"
    size=3><SPAN

    <SPAN
    >Can someone please provide me
    with the name of the economist at SMU who wrote those controversial books
    about the

    <SPAN
    >impending implosion of the
    <SPAN
    >U.S.<FONT
    face=Arial size=2>
    economy?  Of course he's been wrong; but there was an old interview
    with him I wanted to

    <SPAN
    >again access.
    Unforunately; I don't recall his correct name.  Thanks for any
    feedback.

    <FONT face="Times New Roman"
    size=3><SPAN

    <SPAN
    >Chas
    <FONT face="Courier New"
    size=2><SPAN

    <FONT face="Times New Roman"
    size=3>
    <SPAN
    >---Incoming mail is certified Virus
    Free.Checked by AVG anti-virus system
    (http://www.grisoft.com).Version: 6.0.593 / Virus Database: 376 -
    Release Date: <FONT
    size=2><SPAN
    >2/20/2004
    <FONT face="Times New Roman"
    size=3>
    <SPAN
    Free.Checked by AVG anti-virus system
    (http://www.grisoft.com).Version: 6.0.593 / Virus Database: 376 -
    Release Date: <FONT
    size=2><SPAN
    >2/20/2004
  <FONT face="Times New Roman"
  size=3><BR
  ><BR

  ---Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.Checked by
  AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).Version: 6.0.593 / Virus
  Database: 376 - Release Date: 2/20/2004
  AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).Version: 6.0.593 / Virus
  Database: 376 - Release Date: