Re: [RT] Calendar Spreads

<BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr

  ----- Original Message -----
  <DIV
  >From:
  sire@xxxxxxx
  To: <A title=realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  href="">realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

  Sent: Monday, February 16, 2004 5:56
  PM
  Subject: Re: [RT] Calendar Spreads
  Ira,Thinking about your post on volatility leaves
  mesomewhat confused again.You talk about the volatility of the
  underlying,but the underlying has only one kind of volatility -
  statistical,so are you saying that one trader might use the SV of the
  last30 days, while another would use SV of the last year?So are we
  talking about traders with differing specific purposes using different SV
  of the underlying to get a price for an option, which may vary
  considerably from the price given to the option by MMs?It would also help
  to know what period SV is being used by the MMs.Neal
   Yahoo! Groups Links<*> To visit
  your group on the web, go to:
  from this group, send an email to:
  Groups is subject to:
  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

  Here is something to think about.  Volatility varies with the
  option expiration that you chose.  If I am using an option for a position
  that should move in 10 days that would be one volatility of the underlying, If
  I used the September expiration, that would produce another volatility for the
  underlying.  The leap would have a still different volatility.  So
  there are many ways to price options and it depends upon what you wish to use
  the options for how you would determine their value.  Most market makers
  price options with a volatility using the expiration data as the time.
  So as time erodes, volatility changes.  So fair value to me may be
  drastically over or under valued to you.  So in effect you can weight or
  effect volatility by changing the number of days used.   When they
  first started printing up sheets of theoretical values in the early 70s they
  used a one year volatility for the underlying.  Things changed as time
  passed and traders became more astute.    -----
  Original Message -----   From: sire@xxxxxxx   To:
  realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx   Sent: Monday, February 16, 2004 12:00
  PM  Subject: RE: [RT] Calendar Spreads
  Mark,  I do not know what point of Ira's you are referring
  to.  It doesn't appear to me that he says anything about
  the  effect of volatility on Ray's position.  I agree that
  downside  price action would not be good for a covered call
  position.  Also, an increase in volatility would probably effect the
  short  call postion greater than the LEAP, so you may be right there
  also.  Ira,  Thank you for your clarification, which
  helped greatly.  I asked questions because it seemed to me, in Ray's
  #2 position  diagram, that there would be profit if the underlying
  was near   the LEAP strike price or above.  Therefore, Ray had 2
  of the  3 market possibilities in his favor - he would be
  profitable  if the underlying stayed where it was or moved
  higher.       Another issue has to do with the
  edge in options trading and  the programs used to calculate fair
  value.  I may be wrong here,  but it is my understanding that
  all models used by these programs  take the current price of the
  underlying and assume that future price  action from that point will
  be purely random, given the current volatility.  In other words there
  is no weight given to the "trendiness" of a market   and the effect
  that may have on future price action.  Whatever affect   market
  trend or fundamentals may have on future option prices must be  given
  to it, if it is at all, not by the computer programs but by the
  individual discretion of the MM.  Is this your understanding
  also?  Neal
    Yahoo! Groups Links
  ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  Ira brings-up a good point regarding VOLATILITY and it's effects on
  Ray's  "not quite a covered call" strategy......  if I were
  Ray, I would re-run the position P&L with a couple of
  scenarios......double the volatility and take the price of the
  underlying  down 10% and the combination.  I think Ray's
  strats are good except under conditions of increasing
  volatility.....and typically volatility is accompanied by downside
  price  action....  I would like to see Ray run similar
  P&L's using leap PUTS instead of CALLS,  and of course selling a
  near-the-money PUT as the cash-producer.    -----Original
  Message-----    From: mr.ira@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  [mailto:mr.ira@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]    Sent: Monday, February 16,
  2004 10:26 AM    To:
  realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx    Subject: Re: [RT] Calendar
  Spreads    I am sorry that you misunderstood what I
  wrote or that I wrote it poorly.  His position has only one way to be
  profitable that is with a stagnant  price. I stated that it is used
  as an interest bearing instrument because it  appears that he is
  using the LEAP as a surrogate for the underlying and  selling premium
  against it to earn from time decay.    Straddles are
  not my cup of tea either.   I don't like options on both
  sides of a position being a wasting asset.  I will use calls or puts
  and  trade the underlying against the position.  I will ratio
  back spread  positions.  I will trade in and out of butterflies
  and condors. I will use  conversions and reversals to park profits
  until there is a signal for a  price move.  There are literally
  hundreds of strategies that are usable with  options if you trade
  them instead of putting on a position that needs time  to be
  profitable.  Volatility and price are the two biggest factors in
  an  options value.    As for an edge, there is
  very little edge left in options trading other  then understanding
  what you are doing and having a plan to do it.  With all  the
  computer programs that give theoretical values for the various
  Greeks,  the overvalued undervalued buys and sells are very
  limited.  If you have a  system for the underlying that is
  successful then you have the basis for  price action and then options
  trading.  You also will need a program that  will let you know
  what the option value should be.  There are ways of  trading
  overvalued situations without abandoning the directional
  characteristic of options.    Hope that this clears
  things up a little.  Ira.      -----
  Original Message -----      From:
  sire@xxxxxxx      To:
  realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx      Sent: Monday,
  February 16, 2004 12:55 AM      Subject: Re: [RT]
  Calendar Spreads
  Ira,      I guess you were talking very
  loosely when you called      options "an interest
  bearing instrument"?      That aside, I was
  confused by your post in regards to what
  your      opinion is of Ray's strategy and how
  your strategies differ from his.      You say
  that your use of options is different from
  Ray's,      since you like to have 2 of the 3
  possible market actions      to be in your
  favor.  But then you admit that Ray's
  position      has 2 of the 3 things in its
  favor.  I guess that Ray's 2 things      are
  different from your 2 things.  Is that what the difference
  is?      It seems your favorite strategy is
  straddles or something similar.      Is this just
  your preference or are there some statistics
  that      you are relying on for your
  edge?
  Neal      Yahoo!
  Groups Links
  Ray:      Our basic philosophy for the use of
  options is different.  As shown by  your graph the greatest
  spread does occur at the strike.  You also look at  your
  position basis expiration.  I consider options a trading vehicle.
  I  use them as a hedge, as a profit source and not as an interest
  bearing  instrument.  In order to avoid a loss you will be
  forced to do something  with the short options if price moves up or
  down through your zero profit
  areas.      Options are a directional tool
  and that is the way I use them.  There  are three things that
  can happen to a stock or future.  They can go up in  price, they
  can go down in price or price can stay the same.  In this
  instance 2 of these are bad for any long option position and perfect
  for  your position which is dependant upon time decay and price
  stagnation.   I  would rather have 2 in my favor.  I
  like it when I can make money if the  underlying goes up or if the
  underlying goes down.  I do undergo a problem  if price stays
  the same.  Two out of three isn't bad
  though.      May your spread well for
  you,  Ira.        ----- Original
  Message -----        From: Raymond
  Raffurty        To:
  realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Thursday, February 12, 2004 11:09
  AM        Subject: RE: [RT] Calendar
  Spreads        Hi
  Ira,        I agree with everything
  you said, however I believe that using options  with different
  strikes produces better results.  In chart F1 buying 10 F JAN
  2006 15 Calls (WFOAC) and selling 10 F SEP 2004 15 Call (FIC). produces
  a  near vertical chart.  In other words, as you pointed out, the
  profitability  range is very narrow.  The same is true using the
  12.50 strikes shown in F3.  But buying 10 F JAN 2006 12.5 Calls
  (WFOAV) and selling 10 F SEP 2004 15  Calls (FIC) the profile
  produces  a profile with a "wider" profitability  range.
  The trade off is that the total risk is double (there is always a
  trade off with options) but losses can usually be
  managed.        As the man said you
  pays your money and you take your
  chances.        Good luck and good
  trading,        Ray
  Raffurty
[...]

    to me, in Ray's #2 positiondiagram, that there would be profit if the
    underlying was near the LEAP strike price or above.  Therefore, Ray
    had 2 of the3 market possibilities in his favor - he would be
    profitableif the underlying stayed where it was or moved higher.
     Another issue has to do with the edge in options trading
    andthe programs used to calculate fair value.  I may be wrong
    here,but it is my understanding that all models used by these
    programstake the current price of the underlying and assume that future
    priceaction from that point will be purely random, given the current
    volatility.In other words there is no weight given to the "trendiness"
    of a market and the effect that may have on future price action.
    Whatever affect market trend or fundamentals may have on future option
    prices must begiven to it, if it is at all, not by the computer programs
    but by theindividual discretion of the MM.  Is this your
    understanding
    also?Neal ------------------------
    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->Buy Ink Cartridges or
    Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or LexmarkPrinter at MyInks.com.
    Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US &
    Canada.http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/zMEolB/TM---------------------------------------------------------------------~-> Yahoo!

    [mailto:mr.ira@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]  Sent: Monday, February 16, 2004
[...]
    Thursday, February 12, 2004 11:09 AM
[...]
    Yahoo! Groups Links    a.. To visit your group on the
    web, go to:
    unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.

    Ira brings-up
    a good point regarding VOLATILITY and it's effects on Ray's "not quite a
    covered call" strategy......
    if I were
    Ray, I would re-run the position P&L with a couple of
    scenarios......double the volatility and take the price of the underlying
    down 10% and the combination.
    I think Ray's
    strats are good except under conditions of increasing volatility.....and
    typically volatility is accompanied by downside price
    action....
    I would like
    to see Ray run similar P&L's using leap PUTS instead of CALLS, and of
    course selling a near-the-money PUT as the
cash-producer.
    <BLOCKQUOTE

      <FONT face=Tahoma
      size=2>-----Original Message-----From: mr.ira@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

        Ira,I guess you were talking very loosely when
        you calledoptions "an interest bearing instrument"?That
        aside, I was confused by your post in regards to what youropinion is
        of Ray's strategy and how your strategies differ from his.
        You say that your use of options is different from
        Ray's,since you like to have 2 of the 3 possible market
        actionsto be in your favor.  But then you admit that Ray's
        positionhas 2 of the 3 things in its favor.  I guess that Ray's
        2 thingsare different from your 2 things.  Is that what the
        difference is?It seems your favorite strategy is straddles or
        something similar.Is this just your preference or are there some
        statistics thatyou are relying on for your
        edge?Neal  Yahoo!
        Groups Links<*> To visit your group on the web, go
        to:
        to:
        Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
[...]

        Raffurty   To: realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx   Sent:
        Thursday, February 12, 2004 11:09 AM  Subject: RE: [RT]
[...]

          size=2>I agree with everything you said, however I
          believe that using options with different strikes produces better
          results.  In chart F1 buying <FONT
          face="Times New Roman" size=3>10 F JAN 2006 15
          Calls (WFOAC) and selling 10 F SEP 2004 15 Call (FIC<FONT
          color=#000000>). produces a near vertical chart.  In other words,
          as you pointed out, the profitability range is very narrow.
          The same is true using the 12.50 strikes shown in F3.  But
          buying 10 F JAN 2006 12.5 Calls (WFOAV) and selling 10 F SEP 2004
          15 Calls (FIC) the profile produces  a
          profile with a "wider" profitability range.  The trade off is
          that the total risk is double (there is always a trade off with
          options) but losses can usually be
          managed.

          As the man
          said you pays your money and you take your
chances.
          <FONT face=Arial
          size=2>
          Good luck