Re: [RT] Calendar Spreads

Here is something to think about.  Volatility
varies with the option expiration that you chose.  If I am using an option
for a position that should move in 10 days that would be one volatility of the
underlying, If I used the September expiration, that would produce another
volatility for the underlying.  The leap would have a still different
volatility.  So there are many ways to price options and it depends upon
what you wish to use the options for how you would determine their value.
Most market makers price options with a volatility using the expiration data as
the time.  So as time erodes, volatility changes.  So fair value to me
may be drastically over or under valued to you.  So in effect you can
weight or effect volatility by changing the number of days used.
When they first started printing up sheets of theoretical values in the
early 70s they used a one year volatility for the underlying.  Things
changed as time passed and traders became more astute.
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr