RE: [RT] Calendar Spreads

Ira brings-up a
good point regarding VOLATILITY and it's effects on Ray's "not quite a covered
call" strategy......
if I were Ray, I
would re-run the position P&L with a couple of scenarios......double the
volatility and take the price of the underlying down 10% and the
combination.
I think Ray's
strats are good except under conditions of increasing volatility.....and
typically volatility is accompanied by downside price
action....
I would like to
see Ray run similar P&L's using leap PUTS instead of CALLS, and of course
selling a near-the-money PUT as the cash-producer.
<BLOCKQUOTE

  <FONT face=Tahoma
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: mr.ira@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  [mailto:mr.ira@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]Sent: Monday, February 16, 2004 10:26
  AMTo: realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: Re: [RT]
  Calendar Spreads
  I am sorry that you misunderstood what I wrote or
  that I wrote it poorly.  His position has only one way to be profitable
  that is with a stagnant price. I stated that it is used as an interest
  bearing instrument because it appears that he is using the LEAP as a surrogate
  for the underlying and selling premium against it to earn from time decay.

  Straddles are not my cup of tea
  either.   I don't like options on both sides of a position being a
  wasting asset.  I will use calls or puts and trade the underlying against
  the position.  I will ratio back spread positions.  I will trade in
  and out of butterflies and condors. I will use conversions and reversals to
  park profits until there is a signal for a price move.  There are
  literally hundreds of strategies that are usable with options if you trade
  them instead of putting on a position that needs time to be profitable.
  Volatility and price are the two biggest factors in an options value.

  As for an edge, there is very little edge left in
  options trading other then understanding what you are doing and having a plan
  to do it.  With all the computer programs that give theoretical values
  for the various Greeks, the overvalued undervalued buys and sells are very
  limited.  If you have a system for the underlying that is successful then
  you have the basis for  price action and then options trading.  You
  also will need a program that will let you know what the option value should
  be.  There are ways of trading overvalued situations without abandoning
  the directional characteristic of options.

  Hope that this clears things up a little.
  Ira.
  <BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr