RE: [RT] PRIME BROKER AND FRAUD

First
of Prime Brokerage by definition means custody is done somewhere else.  A
true Prime Broker would not hold any positions and would be a direct access
exchange member.  A Prime Broker also would not, regrettably, provide any
client info as they custody nothing.  You would want to make certain the
broker with custody is kosher.  The Prime could trade badly and lose money,
but they custody nothing.  The custodial broker could have some
responsibility in a theft or fraud.

  <FONT face=Tahoma
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Charles Meyer
  [mailto:chaze@xxxxxxxx]Sent: Wednesday, February 04, 2004 8:07
  AMTo: REAL TRADERSSubject: [RT] PRIME BROKER AND
  FRAUD
  Group-

  Can anyone shed light on this
  issue?  These questions come from an
  ananomous man who purportedly lost some money thru a <FONT face=Arial
  size=2>hedge fund fraud.  The problem is that I don't understand the
  nature of the questions and how they relate to the way the <FONT
  face=Arial size=2>money was stolen?  Can anyone tell me how they
  stole his money and the Prime Broker link?  <FONT face=Arial
  size=2>I can only get info
  in bits and pieces and my correspondent is
  often lazy with providing me information.

  Thanks for your time, attention, and any
  feedback.
  <FONT face=Arial
size=2>
  chas
  ====

  Hedge Fund Prime Brokerage Due
  Diligence

  1)  Are you currently or have you ever been
  a Prime Broker for xxxxx?

  2)  Does your arrangement provide for
  exclusitivity in any way or is xxxxx free to pursue additional Prime
  Brokerage arrangements in addition to yours?
       Can you provide
  details in any way?
  <FONT face=Arial
size=2>
  2)  If you are no longer a Prime for xxxxx,
  can you tell me the circumstances as to why this is no longer
  true?

  Under your Prime arrangement (current or past,
  please note) the following questions;

  3)  Are all assets, including cash, held in
  your custody?

  4)  Explain how fund assets may be moved and
  invested.

  5)  What are your policies and procedures to
  safeguard fund assets (3rd party signatures, multiple signatures,
  etc.)?

  6)  Does xxxxx have multiple accounts
  with you?  If so, how do you assure that all accounts are traded on an
  equal basis?

  7)  Do you perform any type of valuation
  services (such as calculation of NAV, account balances, etc.)?

  8)  In addition to the above, can you please
  describe any other duties and responsibilities that your arrangement
  with xxxxx entails?

  9)  Is there anything else that you can tell
  me that would help me better understand the relationship that you have
  with xxxxx and / or the Fund Manager?

  Yahoo! Groups Links

    To visit your group on the web, go to:<A
    href="">http://groups.yahoo.com/group/realtraders/

    To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:<A
    href="">realtraders-unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    href="">Yahoo! Terms of Service.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

To visit your group on the web, go to:http://groups.yahoo.com/group/realtraders/