Re: [RT] Oil! Could we end the need for imported oil?

Don,
           Some natural gas is "associated" gas produced with oil.  As the
gas is lighter than oil it rises to the structurally highest point of the
accumulation.  Hence the term "gas cap".  Often this gas will not be
produced during the production of oil in order to maintain reservoir
pressure to enable the production of more oil.  Sometimes the gas is
produced and re-injected into the reservoir as part of an active pressure
maintaince program.  In the old days this gas was flared.  Much still is,
especially overseas where there is little infrastructure and less market.

         Most hydrocarbons are produced by the heating of source rocks such
as organic rich shales.  Too little heating and we get traces of oil and
methane.  With enough heating we generate large volumes of oil.  Too much
heating drives the oil and source into the "gas window".  The result may be
"wet" gas, methane with heavier hydrocarbons, ethane, propane, etc, and
condensate which is can be thought of as very high gravity oil.  With
enough heating we go to "dry" gas, largely methane without the
condensate.  Too much heating and this gas is cracked to CO2 as the
hydrogen molecules are destroyed.

         Biogenic gas is another "dry" gas, mostly methane.  It results
from the decay of buried organic matter.  Coalbed methane is a form of
biogenic gas.

         Oil and gas exploration uses the above models to hone the search
for gas deposits.  Most gas discoveries today are the result of deliberate
efforts to explore in areas that are thermally mature for gas formation (or
in the biogenic gas provinces).  Of course, some discoveries will always be
"associated" gas related to oil.

         Check this link  <http://www.naturalgas.org/>

Charles Marchand
At 02:59 PM 10/16/01 -0500, you wrote:
>I was told that if they drill for oil and find gas they cap it, is that
>correct does anyone know?  Is it a transmission issue?
>
>In other words natural gas discoveries are a by-product of oil exploration,
>in a way?
>don ewers

Protect your servers with 128-bit SSL encryption! Grab your copy of VeriSign's FREE guide: "Securing Your Website for business" Get it Now!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/M.WTOC/m1FDAA/cosFAA/zMEolB/TM