Re: [RT] Oil!

In the British press there is a lot of focus on Saudi Arabia as the real
battleground in the fight against Islamic terrorism. Although we treat
them as a staunch ally, the Wahabi strain of fundamentalism that
developed there and continues to exist is a major source of anti
Americanism, both spiritually and economically. It is Saudi money that
funds Al Queda, and Wahabi 'teachers' who travel to Islamic communities
throughout the world and preach a strict intolerant version of Islam.

Furthermore, Saudi Arabia has a very weak version of democracy, and
dissenting views are suppressed.

But they have oil, so they are our ally.

Meanwhile, the most democratic and western-looking country in that part
of the world remains an enemy -- Iran. So I agree with you, Norman, that
our relations towards that part of the world is often irrational, or
rather too concerned with purely commercial interests and not concerned
enough with promulgating our principles to the rest of the world.

Most of the people in that part of the world do not really hate us. They
envy us. They wish to be more like us. Their own governments don't let
them, and their way of expressing their anger is to rail at the US,
which often supports these repressive governments. To make it worse, the
US has done a terrible job of getting its point of view to the people
there. There is no good VoA service in Arabic, and the local media tends
to allow heavily anti-American sentiment. The State Dept has no
Arabic-speaking spokespeople that can communicate the US perspective.

So it is a huge mistake to assume that everyone who burns a US flag
supports the killing of innocent Americans, despite the efforts of the
US media to imply that. And there are things the US could do to improve
its image in the Middle East. And we need to reconsider who our allies
and who our enemies really are.

Regards
DanG

Norman Winski wrote:

> Ralph,
>
>  You raise an interesting point. If we don't need to support the OPEC
> states, then perhaps we have contributed to the current situation by not
> practising what we preach.  We preach democracy and freedom, yet we support
> these very repressive OPEC regimes which leads to social unrest and
> bitterness among their citizens.  Perhaps via our foreign policy, we have
> sown the seeds of unrest which have lead to our current problems?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Norman

Protect your servers with 128-bit SSL encryption! Grab your copy of VeriSign's FREE guide: "Securing Your Website for business" Get it Now!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/M.WTOC/m1FDAA/cosFAA/zMEolB/TM