Re: [RT] Adjusted Reserves Sept 19, 2001

The Fed injects liquidity by buying back mainly short treasuries.  So
now the banks are sitting on alot of cash.  The only way this is
distributed through the system is if the banks are willing to lend
this excess cash out and if borrowers see leveraged investment
possibilites.  Japan loosened in the 90s but it didn't do the
domestic economy any good because domestic borrowers were perceived
uncreditworthy.  I'm sure the borrowers and investors were already
drowning in a tide of debt and stock market losses.  Initally the
liquidity went offshore to Southeast Asian ventures which pretty much
all bit the dust.  Now all the money is parked in long Japanese
government bonds which last time I looked yielded about 1.4%.  Who in
their right mind would buy long-term debt in the world's most
indebted nation suffering through a severe recession and doing
everything it can to weaken its own currency?  Better off putting
your money under a mattress.