[RT] A true story

A real story from a friend of mine who worked one block away from
ground zero.  He came out of the subway at about 8:55am to see the
1st building burning.  As he stood staring, he saw the second
explosion.  Hanging around to watch, he got caught in the collapse of
building one.

Subject: Re: I hope you're alright!

Thanks!

I am OK but faced death in the eye yesterday.

I made the mistake of watching this thing unfold, including the
second explosion, one block away from the WTC on Broadway when the
building went down and I got caught up in it. As I ran with everyone
else and fell to the ground with a fear of being trampled, I could
not believe and could not stop watching what was appearing in front
of my eyes -- the WTC was collapsing.

You could see the approaching wave of tremendous energy and white
smoke channeling up the street and then Total Total Total Blackness,
not being able to see even a1/3 of inch in front of me as I couched
behind a van suffocating -- didn't think I would make it. I had a
single thought that I had made a mistake and miscalculated by not
going to my Office and that it would cost me my life. At first the
fear was that the debris from the building would be sufficient to
kill, but, then I was almost certain that I would die from
asphyxiation

What was unbelievable then was the Silence - it was as if
collectively all the people around who I could not see were sharing
the same thought and we were all resigned to the fact that we would
die. Silence.

Eventually, as I stumbled in the dark, I started yelling out that it
we would be OK and that the soot was clearing, but, although I had
the posture of trying to soothe others, I was really trying to soothe
myself by the exercise.  I could see what appeared to be the tiny
decorative Christmas lights strung on a tree, but, what didn't make
sense was that the tree would be where I thought was the middle of
the street. It started to brighten and I could see the others,
walking snowmen covered in white ash. I turned to a woman next to me
and said I thought we were at Chase Manhattan Plaza and then indeed
did see the Chase sign.

I walked into a store where the owner was giving out drinks, exited
the back way, found myself in the lobby of a building where we were
ushered into the basement. It was as if I was sprayed with an
asbestos gun and was totally covered with gray/white matter, caked to
my head. It turned out the basement was a gym -- which in a way was a
Godsend because I could remove my clothes, shower and change into gym
cloths. We watched the monitors in the gym. At one point I was in the
bathroom with a young guy who said he was never late for work, but,
that this day he was late and that he worked at the WTC. He then
started to cry.

In the aftermath, as I had said to some of my fellow snowmen, " We
made it."

Writing this has been cathartic for me. Most moving for me were the
expressions of concern, caring and love from my friends and family.

FREE COLLEGE MONEY
CLICK HERE to search
600,000 scholarships!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/47cccB/4m7CAA/ySSFAA/zMEolB/TM