[RT] The Day After

Firstly the failure of American intelligence is
obvious. American intelligence relies heavily on signals intelligence (SIGINT).
Signals intelligence includes any intelligence collected from intercepted
communications, such as microwave, landlines secret writing, or electromagnetic
emanations (e.g., foreign radar signals or telemetry from an object of
intelligence interest.)   This strategy has clearly shown its limits
in fighting terrorism, which is likely to be the war of the
future

  <SPAN
  class=010425413-12092001>The failure is not the
  technology or the reliance on the technology.  The failure is the belief
  that we can fight terrorism by relying on reason and talking a good
  game.  We have become complacent.  We have restricted our
  intelligence community in its ability to use all the tools that are
  available.  As more and more people die we stand by our principle that we
  have a higher morality than those terrorists and that we will not stoop to
  their level.  That is little consolation to those who pay the ultimate
  price.  We go to war and then restrict those who are conducting it in
  their ability to win the war.  We consider  a tie in war to be a
  win.  It is not.  The response has to be loud, clear, and emphatic
  that we will no longer be the "patsy" of the world.
  <FONT face=Arial
  color=#0000ff size=2><SPAN
  class=010425413-12092001>
  <FONT face=Arial
  color=#0000ff size=2>
  Secondly, the &#8220;Star War&#8221; pet
  project of president Bush has been proved today to be a dream that would be
  unable to protect the American population from terrorists attacks. Again high
  tech and huge amount of taxpayers&#8217; money is of little help to fight determined
  terrorist.

  <FONT face=Arial
  color=#0000ff size=2>I do not choose to debate
  the merits of Star Wars at this time.  However, all have you have stated
  is an obvious fact.  Statement of facts are easy.  Solutions are
  not.  To totally dismiss any possible solution (Star Wars or otherwise)
  is foolhardy.  Terrorists operate by finding our vulnerability and then
  devising ways to strike at that vulnerability.  If we do not come up with
  some way to defend against high tech terrorism then that will become their
  weapon of choice.  The only way to truly solve the problem is to identify
  the terrorist and then leave no stone unturned to destroy them.  And be
  constantly alert as new terrorists appear on the scene and wipe them
  out.
  <FONT face=Arial
  color=#0000ff size=2>
  <FONT face=Arial
  size=2>Thirdly, we all go through metal
  detectors and X-Ray machines before boarding aircrafts. Yet fanatics have been
  able to smuggle weapons in order to highjack several
  airplanes
  <FONT face=Arial
  color=#0000ff size=2>
  <FONT face=Arial
  color=#0000ff size=2>So what is the
  solution.  Are Americans going to resist a restriction of our civil
  liberties or are we going to realize that we are dealing with animals who are
  not entitled to civil liberties and that in the process of identifying and
  destroying them we may have to forego some of our
  liberties.
  <FONT face=Arial
  color=#0000ff size=2>
  <FONT face=Arial
  size=2>Yesterday&#8217;s tragedy may lead the
  American people to reassess its belief in technology.

  <FONT face=Arial
  color=#0000ff size=2>
  <FONT face=Arial
  color=#0000ff size=2>Or maybe it will lead us
  to reassess the restrictions we place on those who must use the technology to
  protect us.
  <FONT face=Arial
  color=#0000ff size=2>
  <FONT face=Arial
  color=#0000ff size=2>Bill
  Daniel
  <SPAN
  class=010425413-12092001> -----Original Message-----<SPAN
  class=010425413-12092001>[Bill
  Daniel]
  <FONT face=Tahoma
  size=2>From: Jean Jacques Chenier
  [mailto:JChenier@xxxxxxxxxx]Sent: Wednesday, September 12, 2001
  8:58 AMTo: realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: [RT] The
  day after
  The day after.

  While we mourn our friends, acquaintances and
  colleagues our duty is to understand what will be the impact of yesterday&#8217;s
  tragedy on the financial markets. This major event could mark a shift away
  from America&#8217;s heavy reliance on technology and have tremendous consequences
  on the way America function on the way.

[...]

  As for the World Trade center itself, it may look
  as another failure of technology. It was planned to stand a 707 crash. The
  fact that the World Trade Center has been targeted twice is no coincidence. To
  gather so many people in the same place was an accident waiting to happen. The
  fact that the technology did exist to build it should not have been a reason
  good enough to do it. Again there was a huge amount of money spent and a naive
  belief in technology.

  Yesterday&#8217;s tragedy may lead the American people
  to reassess its belief in technology.

  A very possible consequence of yesterday&#8217;s horror
  may be a continuous slide on the technology laden Nasdaq index. All the stock
  indices will suffer , as whole sectors of the economy will be hurt: financial
  services of course (some of them head-quartered in the World Trade Center,
  other had their back offices), airlines, hotels etc. but the Nasdaq is likely
  to suffer the most. In last week&#8217;s newsletter (see our web site <FONT
  face=Arial size=2><A
  href="http://www.alterama.com/";>http://www.alterama.com) we were
  forecasting a drop of the S&P500 to 930, an objective that we might reach
  sooner than we thought. As for the Nasdaq 100, we reiterate the objective of
  1,100 that we stated several times in 2001.

  Jean Jacques ChenierAlternative Asset
  Management, Inc.Tel: 646 840 0385E-mail: <A
  href="mailto:JChenier@xxxxxxxxxxxx";><FONT face=Arial
  size=2>JChenier@xxxxxxxxxxxx