Re: [RT] Markets: Stock Index Futures and regulation

Hi Dorothy,

Mustn't forget the 1785 panic either.  For those interested, the 72
year procession of the equinoxes, or whatever one chooses to call it,
has been discussed extensively on the yahoo wheelsinthesky list.

CC

--- In realtraders@xxxx, Dorothy Carter <dorothy.carter@xxxx> wrote:
> Anyone who follows cycles .. get out your calculators   depression
1857 +
> 72 yrs =  1929+72 yrs = 2001    bingo......  :-)

view
> > seems to favor less globalisation rather than more. There is no
specific
> > global military threat, so the developed countries have more
incentive
> > to fight over differences rather than smooth them over. Traumatic
events
> > (by definition?) come when you don't expect them.
> >
> > Regards
> > DanG
> >
> > Earl Adamy wrote:
> > >
> > > Rakesh,
> > >
> > > As a trader I use technical analysis exclusively. My bias toward
> technical
> > > analysis carries into longer term investing except when I
believe there
> are
> > > extreme conditions in the market. I also have long had an
interest in
> long
> > > term market history because I do believe that there are lessons
to be
> > > learned from history and that markets move from one extreme to
another
> and
> > > back. However first and foremost in trading and investing is
capital
> > > preservation. Thus I was a couple of years early in starting to
ease out
> of
> > > equity investments and I may be a couple of years late in
easing back
> in.
> > >
> > > I believe that there are many similarities between the current
US market
> and
> > > both the Japanese and post-crash (29) US market. There are also
many
> > > differences ... one is the dependency of the US economy on
services (the
> > > Japanese and 29 economies were manufacturing based) and another
is the
> more
> > > homogeneous social makeup of the Japanese society. The later is
> significant
> > > because the Japanese (and to a lesser degree European) social
orders are
> > > less driven by free wheeling capitalism which I believe has
been carried
> > > an extreme in the US and (particularly in Japan) the
homogeneous society
> has
> > > eased the financial pain of depression. Never-the-less there is
> creative
> > > and free wheeling spirit here which should not be
underestimated because
> it
> > > has proven itself capable of adapting to (and leading)
tremendous
> [...]
> > > happen ... it is up to those attempting to manage the economy
whether
> the
> > > correction will be long or will be deep. In the US I would add
that
> there
> > > has been a general preference for the public rather than
business to
> take
> > > the brunt of economic pain e.g. the banks are profiting
handsomely on
> rate
> > > spreads while the public is paying relatively high rates for
credit.

> > > All selling machines are always in gear and Wall Street is no
exception.
> > > When sales slow and inventories pile up at car dealers you
don't hear
> them
> > > running negative advertising, neither does Wall Street. The
astute
> investor
> > > will take some independent measures and reach conclusions
independent of
> the
> > > hype.
> > >
> > > As for investing in a major turn in the markets, on technical
basis I
> will
> > > need to see weekly charts with well established bullish trends
> (particularly
> > > good looking, bullish linear regression channels) and on a
fundamental
> basis
> > > I want to see companies with strong market positions, honest
accounting
> and
> > > good values in the stocks in which I invest ... this requires a
major
> mind
> > > shift from investing in markets which are already in a steadily
rising
> bull
> > > market.
> > >
> > > What I really expect to see is the time come when absolutely no
one
> wants to
> > > own stocks (this last happened in the 30's and 40's) and that
is when I
> > > expect to start shopping for real bargains with real earnings
and real
> > > dividends. In the interim, I continue to like bonds and believe
they are
> > > probably a double over the next 5-10 years (look at the history
of
> interest
> > > rates in the 30's and modern Japan). I remain undecided on
currency
> issues
> > > because I think the issues are more degrees of pain rather than
a safe
> > > haven. If world economic woes bring a rise in nationalism and
> > > political/social dislocation (I think this is a good
possibility), arms
> > > makers may lead an economic rebound.
> > >
> > > More than anything else, one must continuously observe
(independently of
> the
> > > media), think, and adapt to conditions as they unfold.
> > >
> > > Earl

Japanese
> economy
> > > similarities)?

> Are
> > > you
> are
> > > not
> > > next

> change
Given your
> very
> the
> the

> stock
> > > current
> existing in
> > > nearly
> enthusiasm

I am
> > > personally
> decade.
> > > This
> term
> > > GSE's
> > > don't
> other,
> way
> contrary,
> > > catch

Association,
> > > beg to

> new
> the
> > > U.S.
LIFFE, the yet
> > > be
CBOE/CME/CBOT
> and
> > > the
> exchanges
> > > all

CBOT
> when
> > > they
> > > doors
> volumes
> > > from
> > > futures
Nearly 1/3 of
> the

> > > operational
> more
> market
> > > at
> > > options
> options
> > > and

> > > companies
capital
> markets
> > > are
> > > fairness.

> > > work.
> > > made
> > > liquidity
> introduce
> > > hedgers
> hedge
> > > our
> people
> > > want

> > > people
> us.
> > > Just
exchange
> sign
> > > up
> exchanges
> > > they
> attract
> > > new
> > > newsletter.

> work.
> have
> customer,
> > > so
> the

> John
> > > J.
Division of The
> > > Price
Financial
> Inc.

Time,

> the
> are
> > > the
> we
> > > are in
> see
> byproduct
> > > of
> extreme
> > > markets

The fact
> that
> markets
> regulations.

> > > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

> http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
> > > >
> > > Rakesh

> > > New
> > > >
> > > India.
> > > >
> > > Tel.:
> > > >
> > > eMail:
> > > >
> > > rsahgal@xxxx

> <http://eudora.voicecontact.com/vc3/index.html?rakeshsahgal%
40eth.net><http:

> file://eudora.voicecontact.com/vc3/index.html?rakeshsahgal%
40eth.net><http:/
> /www.
> > > eudora.com/products/voicecontact/>

> http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/