[RT] Inflation

You and I have been on the same inflation wave-length for some years now and
we share a disdain for the gimmickry inherent in the new and "improved" CPI
which is nothing less than a thinly disguised attempt to reduce the costs of
inflation indexed government programs. That said, lets look at the prospects
for inflation:

1) if the Fed succeeds in reinflating the bubble, even for just another year
or two before an even bigger economic decline, we will very likely see a big
burst in inflation, especially if Europe and Japan are able to prop up their
economies.

2) if the economy remains mired in problems, which I believe it will, then I
think we are faced with a different picture:

a) the US economy is largely driven by the services sector, however many of
these services are discretionary and I believe a service economy is far more
prone to deflation and very severe recession than is a manufacturing economy

b) most of the manufactured goods consumed in the US are manufactured
elsewhere and the ability of countries in Asia (especially China) and South
America to continue to deliver cheap goods in the face of adverse currency
moves (i.e. declining dollar) and declining demand should not be under
estimated ... one need only look to the recent China/Japan trade conflicts
for confirmation of this (one should note that the US has never experienced
a deep economic recession/depression without a strong domestic manufacturing
base so any such decline will embark on uncharted waters)

c) the US$ has risen almost as parabolicly as the NASDAQ so one should
expect a major reversal ... this is certainly a major wild card. On the one
hand, the costs of imports could begin rising dramatically, however one
should consider that the costs of many imported manufactured goods may not
rise (see item b above). I think that costs of basic imported goods could
actually continue to decline until the world economy begins to recover at
which time, inflation might really kick in here. Aside from energy, the US
imports relatively small amounts of commodities and once again reduced
world-wide demand might just keep imported commodity costs, particularly
energy, at modest levels until world-wide demand picks up. In short, I
suspect that the inflation genie will come out of the bottle when we see a
combination of weak US$ and strong world-wide demand for energy and
manufactured goods.

d) US consumers and corporations have about tapped out their borrowing
capabilities and it is going to be difficult to stimulate demand which would
drive inflation. For years, the economic expansion has borrowed from the
future by leveraging credit card debt, home equity debt, and auto leases ...
any significant economic contraction is going to see an increase in defaults
and a severe contraction in credit availability ... this is generally
deflationary.

e) historically, there have been few periods where corporate earnings have
grown at recent rates and much of that growth has been accomplished with
gimmicks and much of the rest by exporting the US industrial base. I'm not
at all convinced that business is going to be able to raise prices (or keep
cutting package sizes while maintaining price) in the face of a weak economy
and hunkered down consumers. I suspect that we will see cost cutting in some
areas which have grown fat over recent years including executive
compensation and marketing costs. Just one example ... when consumers buy
cereal they are not paying farmers, they are paying huge bucks for all those
multi-billion dollar sports entertainment and endorsement contracts. When it
is no longer possible to business to drive constantly increasing demand,
they will take an ax to those costs.

... a few thoughts for a Sunday.

Earl