From: Daniel Goncharoff [mailto:thegonch@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Saturday, June 23, 2001 4:49 AM
To: realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [RT] Tech workers upset that they owe taxes on underwater
options

That sounds unfair to me. The taxes were due whether they sold the
shares or not, so delaying the sale had no tax effect. The problem comes
about because of the perversely different treatment of shares received
through option exercise before the exercise and after, producing no
offset. Most larger, older firms understand the impact of these sorts of
plans on their employees, and provide information to help them decide a
prudent course of action. These tech companies were new, relatively
small (but growing rapidly), and not focused on the HR issues.

The only part of the issue I don't understand is why the companies did
not withhold at exercise, which would have avoided many of the worst
situations.

Regards
DanG