Re: [RT] Other Weekend Thoughts: Warm Weather Helps Better Sauvignon Blanc

And here is a Hot Tip that won't ruin you (unless you get too greedy and buy too much....)

In the Helsinki (Finland) Tax Free shop you can buy 1995 Beringer Private Reserve for $31.00!

Rated 92point in Wine Spectator and listed at $75.00.

The 1996 is rated less if my memory serves me right (90) but is listed at $100.00!

I am actually sipping the last drops of my -95 right now (mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm)

Come to think of it, then there is the air fare for you Americans....

;-)))

Stig

PS
On a more serious note however, it's interesting to note the parabolic rise of premium wine and especially the boutique winery prices. They very much resemble the Internet stocks.
It's furthermore interesting to hear my Danish Wine merchant who specialize in US Wines (and now nothing about stock prices)tell me how his contacts in the US tell him that consumers and restaurant goers are holding back. They are not accepting the ridiculous prices charged in the US for quality wines.
And that is interesting in the light of an article in Wine Spectator some time ago where they showed how the price of wine followed the stockprices.

Actually what we are seeing here is the tulipmania revisited. Beringer PR listed at $30.00 (91p) 1995 (92p) $75.00 and 1996 (90p) at $100.00 Same or "less" (difference between a Rolls Royce and a Bentley) quality, but prices increasing nevertheless.

Want a look at the wine exchange (auction market)  for "internet wines" check
 http://www.tcwc.com/262ham.htm :

Harlan Cabernet Sauvignon at $ 540.00 or Screaming Eagle at $ 1600.00 PER BOTTLE! This IS the Tulip Mania of the 21st century. And wine prices have been mirrored in stockprices....!

I have previously presented "MY WifeIndicator"
(will not be explained again)
This is My Wine Indicator
Enjoy.
Cheers!