  To: <A
  href="mailto:realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx";
  title=realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Wednesday, June 13, 2001 12:09
  PM
  Subject: [RT] Symmetrical triangle
  failures

  I have been asked to comment about the statistics in my
  book, Encyclopedia of Chart Patterns, specifically, the failure rate for
  symmetrical triangles. I separated STs into tops and bottoms, thinking there
  might be a performance difference. There is, but probably not statistically
  different. For triangle tops, upward breakouts, the failure rates are as
  follows (from page 568 plus column results from Figure 41.6 on page 569):
   <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns =
  Benchmark, failure rate
  5%, 5%
  10%, 13%
  20%, 40%
  30%, 54%
  40%, 67%

  For example, 40% (the failure rate) of the symmetrical
  triangles failed to climb more than 20% (the benchmark). The results use 162
  patterns in 500 stocks from mid 1991 to mid 1996 measuring from the low price
  on the breakout day to the highest daily high before a 20% price decline,
  measured high to low.

  More recent research but preliminary results on 354
  patterns gives the following:
  5%, 5%
  10%, 15%
  20%, 39%
  30%, 54%
  40%, not available
  The results are similar despite 2x more samples and also
  for tops and bottoms combined, not just ST tops.

  Another way to measure the failure rate is what's called
  the Horizon Failure Rate, but David Ipperciel.
  1 wk: 9%
  2 wks: 17%
  3 wks: 19%
  1 mos: 24%
  2 mos: 31%
  This looks at the price rise over time. For example, at the
  end of 3 weeks, 19% of the stocks had closing prices below the breakout price.

  As to personal information, I have been trading stocks for
  over 20 years, chart patterns for about half that. My first PUBLISHED trade
  was in the April 1996 issue of Stocks & Commodities mag involving, you
  guessed it, a symmetrical triangle. I made 27% in 4 wks. Not bad, but down
  from 40% because I delayed a trading day to push profits into a new year.
  Please direct questions to tbul@xxxxxxxxxxx, but I only get to the internet
  once a month.
  -- Thomas Bulkowski

  Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at <A
  href="http://explorer.msn.com";>http://explorer.msn.com

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor