Re: [RT] DA MOON

From: "Don Roos" <rosewood@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, May 14, 2001 11:37 AM
Subject: Re: [RT] DA MOON

> Ira:
>
> I can easily see that significant moon effects upon trading are possible
and
> may even be useful adjuncts to one's methods.  However, the point of the
> note was that moon effects do not give support to other astral claims,
based
> solely on anecdotal evidence.
>
> As far as belief is concerned, it can have a powerful effect upon our
> activities.  But as an analogy, belief in the possible effect of a drug or
> therapy in medicine can be a powerful factor in healing and something that
> makes research more difficult as well.  But in general, it is only 20%
> effective: it is called the placebo effect.  Just as most of us would not
> place our care in the hands of a placebo effect, it should also be the
case
> that we should use great care in placing our dollars into situations in
> which belief and anecdotal information is the guiding star of the
approach.
> Now if one had a system or spreadsheet showing trades based upon specific
> rules for entry and exit, and one could see that say, 8 out of 10 times
when
> Mars entered Taurus, the trade was profitable, then I would be able to
look
> more closely to such a technique.  We can all think of stories of
> association of events, but belief that they were directly related will not
> consider coincidence as unrelated events.
>
> Norman:
>
> I believe Mars has a two year orbit, which puts it visually within Taurus
> much more often than the 9 yr cattle cycle.  Do you keep a spreadsheet of
> trades for these types of events using specific rules for entry and exit
so
> that you know what your probabilities in the future for such trades are?
>
> Sincerely,
> Don,

   Yes, Mars had a 1.7 year cycle. Does the Cattle market make an extreme
low everytime Mars gets to Taurus? No.  But, when Cattle does get to an
extreme and Mars is entering Taurus, there is a good track record for an
important turn for Cattle prices. You could call this the "straw that breaks
the cattle's back".

Cheers,

Norman