POSSIBLE VIRUS DO NOT OPEN MSG CONTAINING IMAGE.PIF FROM STEVE CARTON (or anyone else) Re: Re: [RT] Fwd: NexTrend Analysis

--- In realtraders@xxxx, rtmoderator@xxxx wrote:
> Mr. Carton's posting privileges have been suspended pending further
> investigation of this incident.
>
> Also, "Kris" has been removed from posting as well until the virus
> situation has been resolved.
>
> We recommend strongly that members use some sort of virus
protection
> for their email to protect against these kinds of unfortunate
> incidents.
>
> RT Moderators

What's weird is that I got a mail on my pop3 account (even though I
am using Yahoo for my mail now) to a very old post on RT and it had a
virus payload tied to it.  Seems these idiots may have trapped every
email address on the forum and are sending these files to everyone.

Which reinforces my concern with publishing email addresses in a
forum like this.  I think that users should be able to say that they
only want to communicate through the forum and not via email at all.
That way, email addresses wouldn't be necessary.

The MP3 file has the following virus:
Norton AntiVirus has detected the W32.Badtrans.13312@xx virus.  The
file was quarantined.

However, be aware that these type of packages may not have an actual
virus and therefore a virus program may not be any help.  A PIF
program is an old DOS program, sort of like a BAT file.  It invokes
command.com which could possibly do a command like format C: (and I
assume, reply yes to the command before you could stop it).  That
wouldn't get picked up by a virus program.  So be careful about what
you run.